Registering a kayak W/O a bill of sale

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PhishingNole

Registering a kayak W/O a bill of sale

Post by PhishingNole »

I have a kayak I picked up used and did not get a bill if sale because I didn't think it would matter.

Decided to pick up a trolling motor for it last week and discovered that I must register it in Florida once I put the trolling motor on.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there another way to do this without a bill if sale?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Re: Registering a kayak W/O a bill of sale

Post by Fish Masterson »

Almost positive that you don't need to register a vessel for an electric trolling motor.
I believe that it has to be over 5hp and gas before a need to register.
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Fish Masterson wrote:Almost positive that you don't need to register a vessel for an electric trolling motor.
I believe that it has to be over 5hp and gas before a need to register.
It actually does need to be registered if it has any sort of motor.. Not sure how that's done with kayaks and i'd be shocked if it was enforced.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Yea, I just looked it up. It did say that homemade vessels under a certain length don't need to be inspected, so you could apply for a homemade vessel registration.
TheReelPapaSquat

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

Probably not the correct attitude to have, but as our cities are being destroyed and lawlessness is now rampant, I believe I'd laugh myself into cardiac arrest if I got pulled for operating an unregistered kayak.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicles-t ... strations/

I reached out to a friend at FWC and inquired about how strictly it is enforced, and he told me that it is something that is regularly enforced in his area.

Administratively, you're supposed to bring your bill if sale to register it. Unfortunately, I bought mine off Facebook, so there is no bill of sale.
Last edited by PhishingNole on July 20th, 2020, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheReelPapaSquat

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

Thanks for the link. I have an old canoe I bought for $100 a few years back that has a bracket for a trolling motor. I had considered putting one on and never got around to it.

My suggestion would be to go to the tax collectors office and see what they can do to help. Ours in Taylor County has not been open to the public because of the virus which makes things like this even more tricky.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Honestly, there isn't a serial number or paper trail on a kayak. Just write your own bill of sale up and get it registered. They aren't going to investigate it. Either that or go the homemade route, which may be easier. All of my trailers are homemade.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Speaking from experience on registering a kayak. You are required to register it if you use a motor of any kind (electric or gas). It is enforced. I have been checked. I have received a warning for not having the numbers on the bow even though I had registered it. There is a vin# on most kayaks. New kayaks also come with a registration. I was able to contact Pelican to get another copy for a kayak that I bought used. If you buy new you can use your receipt and the registration. If used you need a bill of sale and the registration. Personally I think it's stupid to require this on a canoe or yak.