St. Marks 7/28

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ugadawg
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 7/28

Post by ugadawg »

Took the canoe down to St. Marks for a paddle fishing trip. First time I've taken the canoe into the salt to fish. Launched from the Lighthouse at 6:45 and headed to the oyster bars and grass lines in the East River looking for redfish. Got some bites, caught some ladyfish, and saw one of the biggest redfish tails I've ever seen sticking out of the water, but didn't catch any reds. A consistent redfish bite still eludes me. After a while I headed out in front of the lighthouse to try my luck with the trout. Ended up with plenty of 14 inchers, and a couple of 16-17 in fish that I took home for supper. I was a bit surprised that I got a consistent trout bite that close to shore with as hot as it has been. Got off the water around 11:00 before the storms rolled in.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 7/28

Post by Salty Gator »

ugadawg wrote:Took the canoe down to St. Marks for a paddle fishing trip. First time I've taken the canoe into the salt to fish. Launched from the Lighthouse at 6:45 and headed to the oyster bars and grass lines in the East River looking for redfish. Got some bites, caught some ladyfish, and saw one of the biggest redfish tails I've ever seen sticking out of the water, but didn't catch any reds. A consistent redfish bite still eludes me. After a while I headed out in front of the lighthouse to try my luck with the trout. Ended up with plenty of 14 inchers, and a couple of 16-17 in fish that I took home for supper. I was a bit surprised that I got a consistent trout bite that close to shore with as hot as it has been. Got off the water around 11:00 before the storms rolled in.
Super cool dog, thanks for the report. Sometimes those big black drum will also tail on oyster bars in the summer. A half a blue crab is a virtual guarantee for one. They’ll eat a shrimp or an arti sometimes, but they won’t pass up a blue crab.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Fishbster12

Post by Fishbster12 »

Well done. Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
badweatherbiker

Post by badweatherbiker »

ugadawg wrote:Took the canoe down to St. Marks for a paddle fishing trip. First time I've taken the canoe into the salt to fish. Launched from the Lighthouse at 6:45 and headed to the oyster bars and grass lines in the East River looking for redfish. Got some bites, caught some ladyfish, and saw one of the biggest redfish tails I've ever seen sticking out of the water, but didn't catch any reds. A consistent redfish bite still eludes me. After a while I headed out in front of the lighthouse to try my luck with the trout. Ended up with plenty of 14 inchers, and a couple of 16-17 in fish that I took home for supper. I was a bit surprised that I got a consistent trout bite that close to shore with as hot as it has been. Got off the water around 11:00 before the storms rolled in.
nice work, I have been wanting to try it there as well. Do tell if you go back id love to meet up with someone
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

ugadawg wrote:Took the canoe down to St. Marks for a paddle fishing trip. First time I've taken the canoe into the salt to fish. Launched from the Lighthouse at 6:45 and headed to the oyster bars and grass lines in the East River looking for redfish. Got some bites, caught some ladyfish, and saw one of the biggest redfish tails I've ever seen sticking out of the water, but didn't catch any reds.
A consistent redfish bite still eludes me.
After a while I headed out in front of the lighthouse to try my luck with the trout. Ended up with plenty of 14 inchers, and a couple of 16-17 in fish that I took home for supper. I was a bit surprised that I got a consistent trout bite that close to shore with as hot as it has been. Got off the water around 11:00 before the storms rolled in.
You're not the only one. I catch the occasional one but for the most part haven't be able to find redfish in St Marks.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

procraftwes wrote:
ugadawg wrote:Took the canoe down to St. Marks for a paddle fishing trip. First time I've taken the canoe into the salt to fish. Launched from the Lighthouse at 6:45 and headed to the oyster bars and grass lines in the East River looking for redfish. Got some bites, caught some ladyfish, and saw one of the biggest redfish tails I've ever seen sticking out of the water, but didn't catch any reds.
After a while I headed out in front of the lighthouse to try my luck with the trout. Ended up with plenty of 14 inchers, and a couple of 16-17 in fish that I took home for supper. I was a bit surprised that I got a consistent trout bite that close to shore with as hot as it has been. Got off the water around 11:00 before the storms rolled in.
You're not the only one. I catch the occasional one but for the most part haven't be able to find redfish in St Marks.
go shallower and find hard bottom....
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
procraftwes wrote:
go shallower and find hard bottom....
I have a history with lower units.. I'll stick to trout lol.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

that is why the trolling motor was invented...

Go slow and enjoy everything to be seen in <2' of water. There is a ton of stuff to see!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Yall aint the only ones that cant get on a consistent red bite, they elude me as well at st marks, I either get on a school or zero out. Shallow aint my problem, I found a piece of limestone bigger than grey mare barely under the water in stoney bayou yesterday :-D