Anyone going out tomorrow, 8/9?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PhishingNole

Anyone going out tomorrow, 8/9?

Post by PhishingNole »

Anyone going out on a kayak tomorrow and looking for company? I'm going to try and be on the water by 6:45 to target some trout and probably fish till noon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
PhishingNole

Re: Anyone going out tomorrow, 8/9?

Post by PhishingNole »

Went out to Hickory Mound and only pulled in a single keeper trout. Tons of mullet jumping all around.

Water was very smooth and coke colored till about 9 or so. Floating grass was really thick, and I couldn't get by with topwater or even weedless paddle tails.

Popping rig with Gulp shrimp seemed to get tore up within just a few minutes every time (puffers maybe?) so I switched to the more durable DOA shrimp. Lots of hard bites, but only the one hookset.

Cut it a little close on low tide and had to drag the kayak a little on my way back in.

ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Sounds like a good day! I'm happy to bring home one keeper trout these days. Does Hickory Mound come out to the gulf at Deep Creek? If so it looks like a short paddle to Grey Mare.
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

No. Hickory mound is east of the Ecofina River. I measure twelve nautical miles from the center creek out from Hickory to Grey Mare. That’s one heck of a paddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

No, it's part of the Big Bend WMA, well east of there.

I forgot to mention I actually got trapped in a creek for a little bit due to two Manatees mating (I assume, though I suppose it could have been a fight to the death over a prized heifer) right in the middle of a creek opening.

I considered going around, but I've read a few stories about spooked manatees thrashing under a kayak and ruining a day, so I just waited them out.

It was a little interesting trying to figure out just what I was seeing as I got closer. I was worried I was witnessing one of Gary's national geographic moments at first.

ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Mckayaker wrote:No. Hickory mound is east of the Ecofina River. I measure twelve nautical miles from the center creek out from Hickory to Grey Mare. That’s one heck of a paddle.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I forgot it was that far East. Haven't been there in years.