East River

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ugadawg
Site Sponsor

East River

Post by ugadawg »

I would like to take my canoe down the east river this weekend or next. I've never been on the East River, so I hoping some of you can answer a couple questions for me.
Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 10.22.41 PM.png
I'm looking at launching somewhere around where the white box is. Is there anything in my way of getting my boat to the river there? I'd prefer to not have to go down a 20 ft embankment to get into the river.

I'm planning to fish and paddle my way down...figure it will take me 3-4 hours, and then bike back to my truck. I imagine there are a few redfish i might encounter.

If there is anything I should look out for or plan ahead for on the East River, please let me know!
FishWithChris

Re: East River

Post by FishWithChris »

Totally doable, kayakers do it all the time - you just have to pick your spot for the least amount of grade. It may be 20' to the water, but not terribly steep I think

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I've seen that spot from the road when there is very little water so watch the tide and wind direction for water levels.

Btw, why is it called the East River when it is West of the Lighthouse? Maybe it was named East because it is East of Port Leon?
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

UGA

The only thing that might be tricky is getting your canoe past the gate. There is a narrow spot that can be a little tricky with a larger kayak. My 13' makes it through, but it could be a little dicey with a larger canoe.

Be prepared for nasty mud and rocks getting to the water, especially at low tide. Once in the water it's an easy paddle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Bjpfla

Post by Bjpfla »

There is a concrete embankment 100 yards or less from the parking area, at the embankment is a small trail down to the river. I wheel my kayak there all the time, but as others have said, be prepared for serious mud and oysters if it is low tide; like not being able to get out of the water mud and rocks at low tide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna give it a go when the weather improves.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Perhaps the easiest launch in the Refuge. Check the tide charts and wind. A north wind coupled with negative lows will nix it for you, but if the forecast low is above 1ft and wind is light or from the south, you'll be fine through the whole tide cycle. Lots of oyster bars, so if you are targeting redfish, topwater plugs, swimbaits with upturned single hooks, and spoons are best way to not lose terminal gear. If you fish live baits, go under a cork or they will go right to the muddy, oystery bottom. This is one of the few places in the Refuge I fish exclusively with artificials, and I always use ones that don't snag the river floor.

Good luck!
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

I would look into buying/making a cart that you can transport the canoe over to the east river concrete spillway. During a high tide you can launch pretty easily, but like has been stated low tide can be tricky. I usually have better luck launching on lower tides on the far side of the concrete spillway.
Tallyfins

Post by Tallyfins »

So if I launch near where the original poster said (near the spillway about 1/4 mi from the main 59 highway) at low tide in the early AM, will I be fighting a strong current out into the flats near the lighthouse all day? Low tide is 8ishAM and High tide is 2ishPM. I wouldn't plan on getting out of the kayak but wondering if a) its safe from gators and b) navigable as the tide comes in. And I'm guessing the fishing would be better the closer I get to salt water?

Also - if I do put in about 8am and fish my way downstream, what time (approx) should I be out in the bay?
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

The strongest current I've experienced was after very heavy rain and it was not enough to cause difficulty paddling back upstream.

If you're planning to fish the flats, you'd be much better off putting in at the ramp or next to the lighthouse.

Navigation during a negative tide is dicey due to oyster bars. High tide is a breeze.

Safe from gators is a hard thing to say. There are gators everywhere, so take the same precautions you would in any back bay or river.

Bjpfla

Post by Bjpfla »

That is not one of the places I would put in at low tide, especially if it is forecasted to be a more extreme tide. If you put in at the spillway using the small trail that leads to the water, you will not be able to get to the water, it’s just knee deep muck and rocks. If you have the time and the tides cooperate, I would float my kayak out to the gulf with the outgoing tide, and come back in with the incoming tide. I have never made it to the gulf when I’ve gone because I make sure to get back to the launch before the tide is anywhere close to being fully out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk