10/7

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: Tom Keels, bman, Chalk

Post Reply
eightwt
Posts: 254
Joined: November 29th, 2014, 9:11 pm

10/7

Post by eightwt »

Fished out of Shell Pt yesterday afternoon. Other than a bluefish and a sand trout, it was all spanish and ladies. Hit 6 spots. Water was dark imo. What a lovely afternoon on the water.
User avatar
Red Beard
Posts: 349
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Re: 10/7

Post by Red Beard »

I had some customers come into the market today and tell me the same thing. Said they were looking for flounder and we’re going to try Apalachicola tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Terrier
Posts: 410
Joined: February 21st, 2004, 9:09 am
Location: Tallahassee

Re: 10/7

Post by Terrier »

Nothing wrong with spanish!
luckywsp
Posts: 57
Joined: March 19th, 2014, 10:32 am

Re: 10/7

Post by luckywsp »

Those Spanish make killer ceviche. Keep a couple. I highly recommend it
eightwt
Posts: 254
Joined: November 29th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Re: 10/7

Post by eightwt »

Terrier wrote:Nothing wrong with spanish!
For sure. Need to get some wire though, ran out awhile ago. Lose too much time replacing bite offs and frayed leader from the lady's.
STMU
Posts: 117
Joined: October 4th, 2017, 5:56 am
Location: Crawfordville

Re: 10/7

Post by STMU »

eightwt wrote:
Terrier wrote:Nothing wrong with spanish!
For sure. Need to get some wire though, ran out awhile ago. Lose too much time replacing bite offs and frayed leader from the lady's.
They are delicious as sushi or ceviche. I find my hook up rates go down with wire. They seem to bit a more lure shy. I use 40lb flouro and rarely break-off. I check for fray after I get hit or land one, but can usually get 2 or 3 before I have to cut off the last 2 inches and tie again.
FlyrodC
Posts: 53
Joined: December 25th, 2017, 9:46 am

Re: 10/7

Post by FlyrodC »

Love seeing a flyfishing post. I'll be down there in 3-4 weeks. Glad you had some action but I feel you re: wanting some nice trout and/or a red or two. Don't know if you watched the Apalachee report but Pat McGriff, wow does he know his stuff and IMO, some of the info translates to flyfishing. I've only fished the salt and Apalachee for a few years and am honing my strategy, would love to catch up for a socially distanced drink and flyfishing convo.

Question for STMU or anyone else, what knot are you using to attach the 40lb shock tippet to 15 lb test?
STMU
Posts: 117
Joined: October 4th, 2017, 5:56 am
Location: Crawfordville

Re: 10/7

Post by STMU »

FlyrodC wrote:Question for STMU or anyone else, what knot are you using to attach the 40lb shock tippet to 15 lb test?
For spinning gear I use braid to 40lb fluoro tied with an FG knot. For fly, I am super lazy and by no means an expert. I usually only bring one fly rod, and it stays rigged for reds with a 20lb fluoro as tippet. I tie straight onto the 20lb with uni-to-uni or something else easy with a loop or rapala knot tied to the lure. Can't think of a time when that uni-knot has broke on me, and I can easily cut it off and go right back to redfishing later. I hate spending my time on the water rigging a bunch of different leads/knots for different species. Not for me...pun intended.

That is especially true for Spanish, as you don't need to get super technical or flashy with casting. It's all open water, and I usually bump troll in fishy areas anyways. If Spanish are in the area I find they really don't care and I'd rather spend more time fishing than rigging.

So again...I'm no expert, but it works for me and I still catch fish. Hopefully someone will have more insight into all the various set-ups and knots you can use. I think if you fly fish a lot and dedicate a day or rod specific to Spanish then going a different route will certainly have its advantages.
eightwt
Posts: 254
Joined: November 29th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Re: 10/7

Post by eightwt »

Went again yesterday with the same results except a spec instead of a sand trout. Ladies and spanish, only difference being ladies were larger. Also, a beautiful afternoon.
eightwt
Posts: 254
Joined: November 29th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Re: 10/7

Post by eightwt »

FlyrodC wrote:Love seeing a flyfishing post. I'll be down there in 3-4 weeks. Glad you had some action but I feel you re: wanting some nice trout and/or a red or two. Don't know if you watched the Apalachee report but Pat McGriff, wow does he know his stuff and IMO, some of the info translates to flyfishing. I've only fished the salt and Apalachee for a few years and am honing my strategy, would love to catch up for a socially distanced drink and flyfishing convo.

Question for STMU or anyone else, what knot are you using to attach the 40lb shock tippet to 15 lb test?
Always up for a beer or two
Post Reply