St Marks 10/23

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

St Marks 10/23

Post by eightwt »

Water clarity continues to be less than ideal. As well as floating grass. We started out deeper and I got one Spanish but things were slow so we went shallow and drifted towards creek mouth. Ran into schools of reds with tails out. Did manage an over slot fatty. We put a couple into cooler. Son also pulled a 27” tripletail and an over spec on gold spoon. Fished up into creek, but nothing was around or at least biting.

Need to tie up more flys with weed guards, although not perfect, but do help with all this floating grass around.

Have been finding some trout last few weeks, but all dinks.
ropeman

Re: St Marks 10/23

Post by ropeman »

Sunday was the same with water clarity and floating grass.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Maybe the cooler weather will kick things off - lots of rain this summer murked up the water. The floodplains are still full of water and the rain yesterday didn't help.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

If you are in search of clearer water, last weekend I fish just north of Keaton Beach and south of spring warrior the shallow water was crystal clear, saw many reds and specs in less than 2’. Got a couple of hits but they were a little spooked by me. Was a lot of grass though.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Fished the refuge Sunday - got one 15" trout off the lighthouse bars. Tried the bars to the west - knew it would be tough when I saw a big Alligator gar swim by - too much freshwater. I did get a fly-by from 'Pinkie' the flamingo, so that was interesting.