Slim pick'ns

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

Slim pick'ns

Post by eightwt »

Has been slow for this old fly chucker. Have been at Wakulla Beach, Shell Pt, and St Marks. See little activity everywhere, no birds, bait, only stiff breezes from these persistent fronts. Hope others are getting some tight lines.
rockyg

Re: Slim pick'ns

Post by rockyg »

Spring can be hit or miss in my experience mainly due to the weather. While I personally admire your fly fish only tenacity you are already at a disadvantage fishing from shore or even your kayak.

So......you should be particularly proud when you do catch a nice fish as you often do. I have always held that one nice trout/red on fly is worth 5 on lures and a cooler full on bait.

April usually starts off like March full of fronts and bluster, but slowly eases towards the gentle warmth of May. :thumbup: :beer:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Fished Wednesday since it was Spring Break. First cast was a 19" fat trout at 7:30 am. Cleaned her at 7 pm. Lots of practice casting in high winds in between. Very tough.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

[quote="rockyg"]Spring can be hit or miss in my experience mainly due to the weather. While I personally admire your fly fish only tenacity you are already at a disadvantage fishing from shore or even your kayak.

Thanks for your words. Can be tough at times, but can usually get something to pull back if their is some activity. Yak just limits area to fish, especially in the wind. Pushing 68 doesn't help, LOL. Still trying to get onto the seasonal, tidal, and weather changes. Only disappointment is lack of redfish love. Just can't get them at all. But still having fun....
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

It's been a rough few weeks - one front after another. I did pretty good in early March but since then, it's been a struggle. Hopefully, it will break soon but we have another front coming on Sunday (high next Monday is below 70). I haven't caught a red all year and no spanish or flounder either. Just trout.