SGI - 6 May 2018

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

SGI - 6 May 2018

Post by Terrier »

Made the first trip of the year to St George. Went to the beach in the hopes of getting a pompano on the fly rod - no luck but did start to get into trout in the trough between the beach and first sand bar. The action was pretty steady between 9:00 AM and 11:00 - ended up with 12 trout including 4 overslots: a 24" and three at 21". The rest were mostly mid slots with a few at 19" or 20". The last fish of the day was a 29" redfish which was cruising the beach - gave a good fight. Most fish were caught on a #2 white bead chain clouser with a chartreuse 'throat' , intermediate line. The gulf-side fish seemed to fight a little harder then bayside trout.
kenfly

Re: SGI - 6 May 2018

Post by kenfly »

Some nice Fishing right there, bet that is fun on a fly rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of fight in a fish on the Gulf side vs. the bay side of the island, but I can tell you that the fish over in that area fight harder than those over toward Econfina and Aucilla.

- Steve Stinson
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Great. Fished east end Friday but only managed a couple Spanish and ladyfish. All were decent size though. Caught on crafty shrimp and clouser.