What river flies?

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

What river flies?

Post by eightwt »

Haven't had much time on local tidal rivers chasing bass and brim. Any suggestions of fly types would be appreciated. Are most people throwing streamers, terrestrials, attractors, nymphs, ?? Figuring on using a 6, too big? Thanks
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: What river flies?

Post by Steve Stinson »

If you're ever in Chipley - Go by King's Drug store. There are some hand tied flies in there that just kill the bream and shellcrackers. They are poppers that have two or three small red dots on the bottom side. I can't remember the name of the guy who ties them.

You will like King's - It's a pharmacy, gun store, hunting and fishing store all in one. If they ever start selling liquor, there will be no need to go anywhere else. (Except for church on Sunday of course). :thumbup: :-D

Steve Stinson
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

The answer to the "what fly" question is ALWAYS the Clouser Minnow.

It catches everything. I've caught bluegill, shell cracker, crappie, warmouth, green sunfish, flyer bream, longear sunfish, largemouth bass, spotted bass, creek chub, seatrout, redfish, snook, mackerel, needlefish, lizardfish, sea bass, sailcat, pinfish and croaker on one.

But if I'm not throwing a Clouser I'm throwing a Tarpon Toad in lime green or a Gurgler. For a Clouser in the river I'd tie on a 6-8 streamer hook. River bream will have zero trouble taking that!
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Tiny poppers for bream and bass. I’m a streamer junkie on the flint and hooch so my personal is a marabou streamer with some Krystal flash. Pretty much the borski soft hackle streamer. Deeper spots you just can’t beat a clouser....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk