RIGGING FLY ROD FOR SPECKLED TROUT

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Old Dog
Site Sponsor

RIGGING FLY ROD FOR SPECKLED TROUT

Post by Old Dog »

I have used floating line---the same line (7-8 WT) I use for fishing for bream and bass, and a6-8 foot mono leader for speckled trout and I've caught some--on a Clouser minnow. And that's because I was too lazy to rig up the right way for trout and reds. Now I want to rig up a reel specifically for trout. How do you guys set up for trout? I don't give a damn about reds, if I catch one fine, but trout are my target.

Hurry with your replies I might go tomorrow. :)

OD
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: RIGGING FLY ROD FOR SPECKLED TROUT

Post by Juan »

Take me with ya. How's that for a fast reply. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

40-pound butt section attached to the fly line with Perfection loop connection. 30/20/15 graduated leader joined by blood knots. Loop knot to fly. If reds or other fish around, you can always add a short bite tippet of 20# fluorocarbon leader. Or you can buy knotless tapered fluoro leaders. I like small poppers (foam or balsa), Deceivers, shrimp patterns (Ghost shrimp, epoxy and Cook's Critters) and Clousers. Natural olive/pearl, tans and yellow work well.

Good luck OD. Post up your results.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Great. Thanks for the reply. Do you use sinking line? I found some in my tackle bag, but thought it might be too much work to cast it. And thanks for the tips on attractors.

Juan, once this weather clears, we'll go get on some. I thought I might try it tomorrow but it looks like some rain lingering in the area.

OD
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Old Dog wrote:Great. Thanks for the reply. Do you use sinking line? I found some in my tackle bag, but thought it might be too much work to cast it. And thanks for the tips on attractors.

Juan, once this weather clears, we'll go get on some. I thought I might try it tomorrow but it looks like some rain lingering in the area.

OD
I was kidding... today is the Warden's shopping day and I'm way behind on the honey do list but holler if and when you wanna go. :thumbup:
I may throw the fly rod in the boat and give it a try next week.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

I might suggest a full intermediate line. Gets fly down a little when water is moving well. I seem to have the best luck when using.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

To clarify, tie butt section to fly line with a Uni or nail knot. Perfection loop on the other end to quick connect leaders.

I've used intermediate for tarpon at times, but mostly I'm using a floating in sight-fishing situations. eightwt is exclusively a buggy whipper, so his suggestion is a good one. If you have a spare spool, you can load one of each and use according to conditions.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Thanks again for the hints guys. I can go lighter on lines and rods because I'll never target tarpon and can usually wait out any red I catch. I am retired and in no hurry.
OD
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

I'll use a either a 7wt or 8wt - normally an intermediate line (Cortland Little tunny or something similar) for deeper water, floater for shallower water and topwater flies - 80% of the time and blindcasting with the intermediate line on the 7wt. Mono leader for the floater with a 12lb fluorocarbon tippet and a fluorocarbon leader/tippet for the intermediate. Clousers, EP Minnows and Gartside gurglers will cover most of your needs. A fly rod can be the best thing for trout - fall especially. Find the right place and it's a fish every cast.