ST Marks NWR - 16 Dec 2018

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

ST Marks NWR - 16 Dec 2018

Post by Terrier »

Fished the refuge again today - wind was a little stronger than forecast so I went to the east instead of the west - tried to paddle 'inside' in the creeks and coves to avoid the wind but the north wind was blowing the water out, so it got a little tricky. Ended up fishing a few of the cove mouths and got 7 at Big Cove - 1 short, two around 15" and the rest 16" - 18". Black clouser, on an intermediate line in the deeper bends and elbows was the ticket. Tried to paddle inside to Hornes Creek, but it was too shallow and I didn't want to get stuck.
Srbenda

Re: ST Marks NWR - 16 Dec 2018

Post by Srbenda »

Terrier wrote:Fished the refuge again today - wind was a little stronger than forecast so I went to the east instead of the west - tried to paddle 'inside' in the creeks and coves to avoid the wind but the north wind was blowing the water out, so it got a little tricky. Ended up fishing a few of the cove mouths and got 7 at Big Cove - 1 short, two around 15" and the rest 16" - 18". Black clouser, on an intermediate line in the deeper bends and elbows was the ticket. Tried to paddle inside to Hornes Creek, but it was too shallow and I didn't want to get stuck.
Were you in the river, or in the creeks that dump into the bay?
All photos copyright @saverymill
Terrier

Re: ST Marks NWR - 16 Dec 2018

Post by Terrier »

In the mouth of the cove in about 4'- 6'.