ST Marks NWR - 23 Dec 2018

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

ST Marks NWR - 23 Dec 2018

Post by Terrier »

Fished the refuge this afternoon - took advantage of the light wind and paddled west. Had decent activity around creek mouth oyster bars. Ended up with 11 trout, most mid slot, with 2 shorts. Also got a short redfish. Black or black over purple clousers on an intermediate line was the ticket again. The water was a little more stained and cooler than last week but still not bad.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: ST Marks NWR - 23 Dec 2018

Post by Redbelly »

Good day! I wish I could have been out there!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Trout & reds were also hitting strong Sunday late morning east of the lighthouse, if you could find water. Dragging a kayak from the mouth of Stoney Bayou to mouth of Horns Creek takes a lot longer than it looks like on a satellite map. At least it was a pretty day for an extended hike. Perfect weather!
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Almost got caught in Big Cove last week trying to paddle the small creek to Hornes - would have been a long, mucky slog home.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Great you've been having action. Good to hear the refuge is open. Hope to get back out after tomorrow. Son and I went to Cedar Key last week and fished 2 days. First time there. Had success on chartreuse over pink clouser and various colors of crafty shrimp. Had success last year with black clouser in the river after fish had moved in. How long are you tying your black? My black tail is kinda short, might need a different one. Another good rationalization for more material, LOL.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

3" - 4" on a number 2 hook. Finally found a good black bucktail (Bass Pro of all places) - good bucktail can be hard to find and black has been the hardest color to get a good one. I tie a few strands of flash - 3-4 doubled over - and have been using flashabou weave 3 strand blend in bronze/copper/green:

ImageIMG_3935 by Scott Taylor, on Flickr
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Thanks Terrier. Yeah my black tail leaves something to be desired if longer length is needed. Tied some black and orange last year that worked also. Merry Christmas to you.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Fished the refuge today - very slow, water is clear but very stained. Had one trout on in front of the lighthouse but lost it bringing it to hand. Would have gone to the western passes but the fog was too thick - had to use a compass at one point to orient myself just a few minutes off of the lighthouse.