Carp?

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

Carp?

Post by tailwaters »

Any of you ever target Carp around hear? I spent some time trying to catch them years ago while living in Killearn Lakes. Lake Monkey Business had a ton of them but could never hook any on fly. After watching a few videos on YT recently I was thinking about giving them another shot. If so what patters are you having success with?
STMU

Re: Carp?

Post by STMU »

Piney-Z has some. Assuming you are talking about Grass Carp and not Common Carp. Might also be some local HOA ponds with them as they are often stocked to manage aquatic vegetation.

Never tried it on the fly, but a bow works pretty well!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Lake Ella is full of them.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Thanks fellas but finding them was never the issue. It was figuring out what fly they would eat because everyone I've tried didn't work. Just curious if others have had any luck and if so what patterns worked best.

In other parts of the country they use small freshwater shrimp and crawfish patters. Some use berry imitations. I've tried a verity of both without getting any love.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

My best past success was to chum with canned corn and throw a yellow egg pattern. Especially where there is some current. Otherwise, every water will be different, but I would start with nymphs. Around here I think damsel or dragonfly nymphs would be a good place to start. Have caught on black woolyburger inadvertently also. Have a good book, The Best Carp Flies, that I'll peruse and see if any patterns look good for here.
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

I agree with 8wt about the egg pattern. I have had luck with a white egg. It’s a little late but they will school up under my flowering cherry tree and eat the flower petals. I match the petals with the egg pattern. I also find a large hopper pattern on top works. I try to get it to just barely vibrate like its alive and they will sip it off the top. I catch more on topwater terminal than anything though. A mini torpedo thrown at distance to them and allowed to just sit will get hit pretty quickly. They are surprisingly aggressive if you target them at distance.

Good luck and tight lines