St Marks 6/30

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

St Marks 6/30

Post by eightwt »

Fished East. Beaucoup floating grass. Need to tie up more weed guards on fav flies. Helps a little, but still going to be a pain sometimes with that much salad. All I fooled was throwbacks, few lady's, a couple of cats, and a blue runner that pulled much harder than its size would indicate. All caught on clouser and another baitfish pattern. Son limited out on trout and released a 30" red on spinning rod. Not many boats out. Another fun day on the water.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks 6/30

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report. Grass is only going to get worse with the scallop fleet hitting the flats. :roll:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Yeah the grass had been getting worse. Shell Point was pretty bad this weekend.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Grass also tough offshore- as much as 8 miles out this weekend. Lots of weedlines and mats of grass.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

It's been a pretty slow year on the fly for me so far - average number of trout caught, but most small. Few redfish but getting lots of ladyfish! I wonder if Hermine and Michael storm surges changed the patterns by altering the bottom.

Plus side is that the grass beds have come back strong with the clear water and bait is starting to show up - lots of rain minnows last week. I got broke off at the spanish hole wreck by something fairly large - prob. a jack.