1/15

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

1/15

Post by eightwt »

Have been getting mixed success lately. Went yesterday out of Shell Point. Started out on the shoal at low and there was nothing, maybe not unexpected. Moved to creek mouth and still no love. Moved up the creek and found 14-15 inch trout. Pretty steady while it lasted. Just nothing any larger. No reds. Used black over orange clouser.
dudewheresmyplug

Re: 1/15

Post by dudewheresmyplug »

are you mostly blind casting?
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Got into them on Sunday with a White Gurgler. Got at least 15 trout and had another 15 hits or fish on briefly. All keeper size or better in about 2 hours. First fish I've caught in FLA on surface flies. Dead calm and overcast. Was blind casting but once I found them, I wore that spot out. Kept 3 and fried them up that night.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Drifted with tide while casting with it.

Flyrodc - what general type of water were you in while using your gurgler
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Fishing off an oyster bar on foot.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Gurglers can be deadly - one of my favorite ways to fish for trout. Redfish will take them too.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Just an FYI that I went out yesterday from SP and got my hat handed to me. My buddy was spin casting and threw the box at them and I was tossing flies and didn't sniff a fish. Conditions were great but I have to assume the cold temps during the week moved the fish and/or put them off the feed.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

FlyrodC wrote:Just an FYI that I went out yesterday from SP and got my hat handed to me. My buddy was spin casting and threw the box at them and I was tossing flies and didn't sniff a fish. Conditions were great but I have to assume the cold temps during the week moved the fish and/or put them off the feed.
Went yesterday also. Don't normally go right after a cold front, but that was when son could go. He got a number on spin, but only 1 for the box. I got a few, missed a few, and lost one due to a poor knot. Those high blue skies immediately after a front always been the pits for me. We fished the mouth of the river mostly. Did amber over East R. to finish up. Zilch.