Mashes sands. FYI

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish10

Mashes sands. FYI

Post by fish10 »

Been to mashes sands twice in last two weeks. Wade fishing the flats and little channel up north of the end of the road. Fly fishing with 8 weight and tried everything in the box with no luck. Saw multiple flounders drifting away as I fished the flats and saw a 36 in black drum slowly coming out of the marsh without a care in the world. About two feet rom me. Conditions were good and no fish so may try over at bald point the next time. Hope to see some red fish but a flounder will be ok too.
eightwt

Re: Mashes sands. FYI

Post by eightwt »

Haven't fished Bald Point for awhile, but enjoy it. What success I've had has been on an outgoing. Good luck.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Sometimes they just don't wanna eat, nobody knows why :-? My Dad used to say, if you can see fish, you probably won't catch them. Sounds like he was right that day.
Yours in the South
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

fish10, if you don't have any Dupre's gold spoon flies, they have them at Fisherman's Choice in Eastpoint and the beauty of that is they are $1.50 less than they are when you buy them online. I like the gold as well as the dark red. Decent option when you're blind fishing and Reds will eat them more than they'll eat Clousers IMO. Plus they're easy to cast and I've also caught Flounder, Spanish Macks and Sheepshead on them.
billfish3r

Post by billfish3r »

I havent fished for a while because of the pandemic. Once all this is over ill take my sons out for a fishing trip. Im planning on buying them their own fishing rods so they can get into the hobby. If anyone is looking to get fly rods for kids, you should visit this page.
Last edited by billfish3r on July 27th, 2020, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

DixieReb wrote:"If you can see fish, you probably won't catch them."
Guy took me fishing late at night in back of Captiva Island. He literally snuck up on the dock we were going to fish.
Took one look...stood up and said we aren't gonna catch anything tonight.
I walked out on that dock, which was lit up, and saw the bay bottom carpeted with snook.
Bounced pinfish off their noses, they couldn't have cared less.

woop
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Mike@jb

Post by Mike@jb »

New guy...
This post got me to scout out Mashes and Bald Point last week, and I tried to fly fish at Bald Point today.
I have to agree that today “if the fish can see you, you won’t catch them”
The same red must have swam past me a dozen times.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Mike@jb wrote:New guy...
This post got me to scout out Mashes and Bald Point last week, and I tried to fly fish at Bald Point today.
I have to agree that today “if the fish can see you, you won’t catch them”
The same red must have swam past me a dozen times.
Welcome to the forum..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk