Flyfishing - Locally

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dudewheresmyplug

Re: Flyfishing - Locally

Post by dudewheresmyplug »

FlyrodC wrote: December 6th, 2020, 10:27 am One question I have for you fellas is whether you have a Shrimp pattern preference. I nerded out one day this summer and read about the life and times of an estuary dwelling shrimp. Now is the time that shrimp are moving into the creeks and I took my spin casting, Vudu shrimp using, buddy to one of my spots yesterday and on what had been a slow day he pretty quickly caught an 18" trout, a 20"+ Red and a pup. I like the Supreme Hair Shrimp, Borski's Slider and the Kwan but am always looking for recommendations as I expect to be using mostly spoons and shrimp patterns this winter.

Looking forward to getting out later today. Good luck all!
I mainly use shminnow patterns. But I fish primarily over grass so flies that sit on the bottom don't work to well for me. I think any fly that has a little pink or red in it is going to mimic a shrimp to some degree.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

I’ve always wanted to get into fly fishing.. stayed away due to the fear I’ll dive in and become obsessed.. but the itch is getting stronger. Something seems so pure about it.

Until than I’ll learn vicariously through y’all..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

dudewheresmyplug wrote: December 9th, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyrodC wrote: December 6th, 2020, 10:27 am One question I have for you fellas is whether you have a Shrimp pattern preference. I nerded out one day this summer and read about the life and times of an estuary dwelling shrimp. Now is the time that shrimp are moving into the creeks and I took my spin casting, Vudu shrimp using, buddy to one of my spots yesterday and on what had been a slow day he pretty quickly caught an 18" trout, a 20"+ Red and a pup. I like the Supreme Hair Shrimp, Borski's Slider and the Kwan but am always looking for recommendations as I expect to be using mostly spoons and shrimp patterns this winter.

Looking forward to getting out later today. Good luck all!
I mainly use shminnow patterns. But I fish primarily over grass so flies that sit on the bottom don't work to well for me. I think any fly that has a little pink or red in it is going to mimic a shrimp to some degree.
I also use Borski slider and crafty shrimp types. Went Sun. and caught fish with black schminnow which resulted in the only 2 slot trout i caught. Lots of dinks. Have some crack type flies i received in a swap that also catch fish.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Anyone gotten any supplies from Forgotten Coast Fly Company? Anyone tie their own?

Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I have but won't anymore....
cabnet.jpg
cabnet.jpg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
......and it's grown since this pic
Attachments
tying table.jpg
tying table.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Red Beard wrote: December 9th, 2020, 11:30 am I’ve always wanted to get into fly fishing.. stayed away due to the fear I’ll dive in and become obsessed.. but the itch is getting stronger. Something seems so pure about it.

Mr Red Beard,

Can become the proverbial rabbit hole, but a lot of fun. Come on in, the waters fine...
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Red Beard wrote: December 9th, 2020, 7:13 pm Anyone gotten any supplies from Forgotten Coast Fly Company? Anyone tie their own?

Have only been there once, several years ago, but didnt buy anything. Is a nice shop as i remember. I mostly get my stuff locally at Wilkinson Fly remember.Yep, i tie.
Red Beard

Flyfishing - Locally

Post by Red Beard »

eightwt wrote:
Red Beard wrote: December 9th, 2020, 11:30 am I’ve always wanted to get into fly fishing.. stayed away due to the fear I’ll dive in and become obsessed.. but the itch is getting stronger. Something seems so pure about it.

Mr Red Beard,

Can become the proverbial rabbit hole, but a lot of fun. Come on in, the waters fine...
Ha ha there ain’t know doubt about it. If y’all got any recommendations on where I should start. Gear wise.. I might as well jump

Eightwt..do you find yourself spending more time making flys or fishing with them?
I’ve never been there personally just one of the pages I follow on social media and admire from afar

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Speaking on the matter anyone read this book..

Mike@jb

Post by Mike@jb »

I just finished it. Great read.
I hope to get his “Sowbelly” book for Christmas.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Monte is an outstanding writer. From the excerpts I've read, however, there is one major error cited. He credits the Bonefish and Tarpon Trust for establishing game fish status for tarpon. That is not true. The Florida Conservation Association was the driving force behind the tarpon tag, which was enacted in 1989. The BTT (a good organization) wasn't established until 1997. Just to set the record straight.

He does make the case for severe water quality and freshwater inflow issues along the Nature Coast. That in turn impacted crabs and when the crab population crashed, the massive tarpon runs dwindled as well. It's all inter-related. Increasing population and angler pressure doesn't help, either.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Red Beard

Flyfishing - Locally

Post by Red Beard »

silverking wrote:Monte is an outstanding writer. From the excerpts I've read, however, there is one major error cited. He credits the Bonefish and Tarpon Trust for establishing game fish status for tarpon. That is not true. The Florida Conservation Association was the driving force behind the tarpon tag, which was enacted in 1989. The BTT (a good organization) wasn't established until 1997. Just to set the record straight.

He does make the case for severe water quality and freshwater inflow issues along the Nature Coast. That in turn impacted crabs and when the crab population crashed, the massive tarpon runs dwindled as well. It's all inter-related. Increasing population and angler pressure doesn't help, either.
As far as I knew I thought they did get the “gamefish” status in Cuba/Bahamas for bonefish/tarpon or one over the other. And I think the BTT were able to hatch/produce tarpon.. though FWC doesn’t seem likely to allow them to release the said specimens..

The book was recommended to me by a customer who is a retired fishing guide from South Florida. Said it was a great book I’m going to have to get on the ball with my reads.

slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Gulf Coast wrote: December 9th, 2020, 7:38 pm I have but won't anymore....cabnet.jpg......and it's grown since this pic
I admire your nice setup. Spent a lot of time in my younger days chasing trout in the Ga. foothills and mountains and it seemed sweeter when you caught them on one you had tied. Haven't tied any in several years now though this reminds me I have to tie up a few for my oldest who is in Arizona. He couldn't take his dog with him on the move as he was in an apartment at first and before he could get him there the old boy died. I trimmed some of his hair and thought I would tie up a few for him to put in his hat. Maybe that seems a little strange to some but he loved that crazy dog and its a way for him to still feel close to him and maybe to me as well.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Red Beard wrote: December 9th, 2020, 9:30 pm
eightwt wrote:

Mr Red Beard,

Ha ha there ain’t know doubt about it. If y’all got any recommendations on where I should start. Gear wise.. I might as well jump

Eightwt..do you find yourself spending more time making flys or fishing with them?
I’ve never been there personally just one of the pages I follow on social media and admire from afar

I spend more time fishing than tying. Generally, the more i fish, the more I tie. Have to replace what get lost, bit off, chewed up.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Well, the latest and greatest for me has been Redfish and more Redfish. Not a ton as my busiest day included 3 fish landed but some nice ones, a 28"'er two days ago and 21'er Saturday and consistent catching, i.e. getting something every day. Which for a guy who's only throwing flies, is pretty rewarding. Add to that the fact that my hot fly is one that I developed and tied. A few weeks ago I limited on trout 2 different days using it and now have been consistently catching Reds on it. I named it the Forgotcha and the variety that's been producing is the Watermelon Forgotcha. Not sure how to post a picture on here but it's a very simple fly to tie.

Anyway, yesterday a buddy and I worked a long, just underwater bar and saw dozens of Reds, Sheepsheads and some Black Drum on top of it. I didn't get anything off of the bar, one Red in a cut along an island that I spotted, hooked and landed. However my buddy got a hoss Black Drum on a Vudu shrimp. He's an expert flyfisherman but hasn't embraced it too much down here. Yet, that is...