Flyfishing - Locally

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FlyrodC

Flyfishing - Locally

Post by FlyrodC »

Didn't want to put our bay name in the title. Regardless, I've been down here for a bit less than 4 weeks and most of my time flyfishing has been spent around oyster bars in the bay and up a creek or two. Been doing pretty well on Reds around bars with the Dupre's gold spoon. I think our friend Silverking mentions using the Chartreuse spoons and I have a couple Dupre's that are Chartreuse/Gold but haven't caught squat on them yet. Trust me, I'll keep trying. I've also been getting Reds, a few Flounder and a trout on the McKittrick's Jawbreaker. The tails are easily bitten off so I'm going to have to come up with some kind of tail replacement that I can tie on there. Liking the white ones.

My best trout fishing has been on a white clouser with light pink underwing. I use Flashabou to tie my Clousers. White lead eyes are what I'm using to weight it. Fishing this with sink tip line in about 3-4' of water. I have picked up a few trout on the Kokorda's Gurgler, again white. I had a couple bang up days on this fly last spring. One day landing 15+ trout and another where a Ladyfish hit it almost every cast for an hour.

I scooped up a 9'6" Winston Biiix Plus 8 wt this offseason at 40% off and am loving that rod Strong and accurate, very pleased.

Going out this AM as soon as the fog lifts. Have to tie up a couple Clousers real quick as a trophy Ladyfish crushed one on my second cast yesterday and gave me a helluva time getting her unhooked. Fly ruined.
FlyrodC

Re: Flyfishing - Locally

Post by FlyrodC »

Switched to sink tip line to get the Clouser down a little deeper and scored a limit of trout fishing off a bar on Friday. 3 good bags of fillets in the freezer now led me to go out Saturday in search of Reds. Scouted a, new to me, area sorta near Smith Island and saw no real bait activity so came back and fished a bar near Shell Point where I've seen a ton of bait activity. The bait was there and was roiled up. I threw the box at them without success. Finally found the right Gurgler (had fished a large white one as well as a large pink one with no success). The one that worked was smaller. A 19" Red chased it, inhaled and and spit it out of his mouth about 15' from me. I quickly recast right to the spot and he ate it again. Only fish of the day but it was a fine fight and it felt like I figured a little something out. One more day until the cold front = yes, I'm fishing!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Way to get after them. I was skulking around in the fog myself Friday and did score three smaller reds on the 1/4-ounce chartreuse ADL spoon on spin gear. Barely hit the water before the first fish ate it. Had to haul my four-legged first mate out of the water after he got too excited and fell overboard. Only pulled two more from the school after all that commotion, so I let them be. A buddy later got back on them and caught 5 more on the same spoon in gold. When they're hungry they are not too picky, but the chartreuse is effective in clear water.

Will have to figure out the new pattern this week as the predicted cold snap will change it up. At least it should kill some skeeters and noseeums.

That sink tip and Clouser combo should do the trick as the trout move into warmer water.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

"the chartreuse is effective in clear water."

Thanks for the tip. I'm starting to figure out a few things about Reds and Trout related to flies. Red seem more interested in Spoons and the McKittrick's Jawbreaker, take a look at them and you'll see why. Caught 4 Reds on it yesterday. Wish the tails were more durable. May try to replace them as long as the replacement tails don't cost 1/2 the price of the flies. I've had good success for Reds with gold spoons and dark red spoons for trout but most of my trout come on shrimp patterns and Clousers.

Figure they're going to be moving up into the creeks but will be interested in what the posters here write about their experiences. For example, how Lanark coastline or Spring Warrior fish in the winter. This is the first winter that I've been able to spend extended time down here. Working from home has been a blessing on that front.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Although both species are opportunistic and will eat mud minnows, finger mullet, pinfish, ballyhoo, etc. in a broad general sense I'd say crabs top the redfish menu and shrimp are the favorite of most trout. So your choice of those flies would closely mimic the natural forage. Wakulla Wobblers, the Dupree spoons and the crustacean patterns are good substitutes for scuttling crabs, while the Clouser is probably mistaken for a shrimp by reactionary trout (despite its name). But I have caught a fair share of trout on foam surface poppers, Deceivers and other minnow patterns.

The overnight lows will have the fish on the move. Whether it stays cold for an extended period or warms back up again will determine movement way up the coastal rivers. Staging around the river mouths/oyster bars and in the tidal creeks is more likely until winter does sets in.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Thanks for the report. Went Sat. only got three, 18 & 20 specks and a really fat 28" red. All on tutti frutti clouser, chartreuse over pink. Seems to be my best color along with black over orange used in dark water/day. Looking forward to winter fishing.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

What test leader are you using, and do you have a line brand preference? I'm assuming you are not messing with tippets, if you are landing 28" reds. Most impressive.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Yeah, those are 3 good fish. Largest Red I've hooked and landed is 23" and that was 2 years ago. Insanely jealous!

PS - I like your Tutti Fruity colors, I've been tying Clousers with white lead eyes, and two colors of Flashabou. Pearlescent and Light pink. With those, I've been getting almost exclusively trout.
dudewheresmyplug

Post by dudewheresmyplug »

So awesome to see more people getting into fly fishing! There are some phenomenal sight fishing opportunities along our stretch of coastline. Was out Wednesday with a client and we went 5 for 6 on big reds with the smallest being 25".
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I've yet to keep from breaking off on any flyrod red over 22". Would love to blame my gear, but I think it's operator error. Hats off to you skilled folks.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

GaryDroze wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 11:15 pm What test leader are you using, and do you have a line brand preference? I'm assuming you are not messing with tippets, if you are landing 28" reds. Most impressive.
Mr Gary,
I tie my own salt water tapered leaders using Trilene mono. Normally i fish a 16 lb tippet. If i have it, use some wire when spanish or bluefish are cutting me off.

As usual son outfished me that day with plenty of reds and trout on electric chicken jig.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Eightwt,
I actually use 17lb Trilene XL almost exclusively on my spinning rigs, with few break-offs. I love Trilene. Cheap, thin, clear, and casts well. Had to go down to 14lb for the fly outfit, due to tournament restrictions. Guess I should move up to 17. Congrats on your success!
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Jay, I may come see (hire) you over at Keaton Beach this winter. Am most interested in flyfishing Spring Warrior area. Liked the article featuring you in the recent FLA Sportsman.

Gary, here's what I do re: leaders. I buy 9' tapered leaders that are 12lb strength. As they shorten I add 12# fluoro (sinking flies) or 12# mono (floating flies). Once the leader gets cut back a bit further, I add a 16# section and then once again attach the 12#. This extends the life of the butt section which is important to me for turning flies over. Especially larger flies. As of yet, I haven't caught anything big enough to tug the fly off though I've hooked a number of Spanish that have cut me off. Last 2 comments are that I connect the segments with a double surgeon's knot and for anything except a baitfish fly, I tie the Lefty Kreh loop knot.

One question I have for you fellas is whether you have a Shrimp pattern preference. I nerded out one day this summer and read about the life and times of an estuary dwelling shrimp. Now is the time that shrimp are moving into the creeks and I took my spin casting, Vudu shrimp using, buddy to one of my spots yesterday and on what had been a slow day he pretty quickly caught an 18" trout, a 20"+ Red and a pup. I like the Supreme Hair Shrimp, Borski's Slider and the Kwan but am always looking for recommendations as I expect to be using mostly spoons and shrimp patterns this winter.

Looking forward to getting out later today. Good luck all!
dudewheresmyplug

FlyRodC, Thanks so much for checking out the article. Glad you enjoyed it. I would love the opportunity to show you around. Winter is a great time, to fish the grass flats as well for bigger redfish!
dudewheresmyplug

GaryDroze wrote: December 4th, 2020, 12:00 pm I've yet to keep from breaking off on any flyrod red over 22". Would love to blame my gear, but I think it's operator error. Hats off to you skilled folks.
Gary what size tippet are you using? I have had very few break offs on fly, and I've used as small as 12 pound class tippet. Are you tying your own leaders?