Flyfishing - Locally

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

Re: Flyfishing - Locally

Post by eightwt »

Good for you. Been getting some trout, but thats all.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Went yesterday and found small trout and thats all. Least got a little pullage after the cold front. A little windy but not terrible, lots of exposed bottom with the neg. low and nw wind.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Winding down my time in FLA at what a buddy would call, the exact wrong time, as the fishing is picking up. Unfortunately the weekend weather has been crap for a while so that has curtailed a bit of my fishing.

A few weeks ago I caught a large Pompano on a white Jawbreaker fly. I released it as i thought it was a Jack even though it didn't have a spot. The buddy I mentioned above was the one who educated me when he texted back to my picture, great Pompano, how did you cook it? Big dummy.

Yesterday afternoon I anchored near a bar in OB and there was a shit ton of bait around. Saw a few large black drum tails popping up, positioned myself perfectly and drifted crab patterns to them and then tossed a gurgler to try to get their attention. Couldn't get them to eat.

Anyway, it's been an awesome season working from home in Florida. This is my last weekend of this season and I hope to tear it up. If I do, you'll likely hear about it. :-) Hope you all have good spring fishing! If you're coming to Montana this summer, let me know. At a minimum, I can point you in the right direction.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Good reports. Have a safe trip back. I am going Glacier this summer. Do you have a guide recommendation out of whitefish?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

My inlaws live in Helen and I have recently started gathering equipment to fly fish up there when ever we visit. I was able to catch 5 rainbows one day last week (wild ones too!). I want to start trying for trout down here, and I've gotten a few clousers to throw at them. My rod is only a 5 wt, (I got it for the N. Ga mountain streams), so I figure it will handle seatrout fine, but reds will need some finesse.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

True Water Fly Shop
KALISPELL
Find me after next tournament.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

SHOWBOAT wrote: April 16th, 2021, 10:12 am Good reports. Have a safe trip back. I am going Glacier this summer. Do you have a guide recommendation out of whitefish?
Showboat, I'd probably recommend Lary's flyshop in Columbia Falls owned by Hillary Hutcheson who is on Trout TV. She and I have a few mutual friends who think very highly of her. Two comments related to this are 1. Book early if your going with a guide, it's going to be busy in Montana this summer. 2. if you're looking to go somewhere remote, check out the Spotted Bear River. And when checking it out, wear bearspray. Great late summertime dry fly fishing for Cutts.

https://www.larysflyandsupply.com/