First time saltwater fly fishing

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cotton

First time saltwater fly fishing

Post by cotton »

Today was about experimenting. I’ve fly fished since I was little. Never in saltwater. I learned quickly the fly rod ain’t for locating fish. So I worked suspending plugs until I located trout. Then tossed a chauteuse deceiver until I caught my first trout on the fly. With that down. I started pitching shrimp on a jig trying to locate a hole with reds stacked up. I found a hole that seem to hold good numbers and starting pitching a tiny gold spoon with the fly rod. It didn’t take but a couple of cast until I caught my first red on the fly rod. Nothing big. But sure fun. I caught 5 reds on the fly rod before they quit. It felt good to do what I set out to do.

Other than that. Fishing was very good. Nothing big. But good numbers. 25 reds to 23”. 21 trout to 19”. And 1 20” snook.Image
FishWithChris

Re: First time saltwater fly fishing

Post by FishWithChris »

Super awesome stuff man. That snook had to be a great surprise for ya !

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

That's a wonderful day. Locating them with the spin rod is likely smarter than what I do as I am only hunting with the fly rod. Fishing near an oyster bar on Saturday, I limited trout and released another 15+. Then after high tide I went to a small bay I'd been wanting to check out, found and fished to some moving fish and got 3 Reds, none were keepers.

Well done by you!
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Where'd you catch the snook? Nothing specific just what area? :-D
cotton

Post by cotton »

procraftwes wrote:Where'd you catch the snook? Nothing specific just what area? :-D
Taylor County
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Good for you. Would love to catch me a snook someday
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk