St Marks NWR - 28 Feb

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

St Marks NWR - 28 Feb

Post by Terrier »

Got out for the first time this year and hit the refuge. Had a good burst of activity between 9:30 and 10:30 around the bars - got 7 trout and a spanish and lost 3 or 4 more. One trout went 20", another 19" - rest were mostly mid-slots. Got cut off my spanish on two occasions as well. Once the tide started rolling and the sun got higher, the bite dropped off (for me any way). I hope to fish a lot more this year than last year, so this was a good start.
Mike@jb

Re: St Marks NWR - 28 Feb

Post by Mike@jb »

Thanks for the report.
How was the water clarity?
What flies did you use?
Thanks,
Mike
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Water was pretty clear, slight tannic cast to it but not bad - some floating algae as well when the tide began to move. Fly was the 'Lighthouse' clouser, with pink throat:

procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

without any specifics what depth were you fishing and/or were you on the flats?
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Glad you had a good day. Went out of Shell Pt. and only managed some throw back trout. Was mostly looking for a red, but nada. Water was tea colored.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Terrier wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:50 am Water was pretty clear, slight tannic cast to it but not bad - some floating algae as well when the tide began to move. Fly was the 'Lighthouse' clouser, with pink throat:

Is that olive over chartreuse on wing?
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Olive over chartreuse over white with mixed gold, pearl, copper and UV pearl. The pearl and copper are fire fly tye - it's like flashabou, not krystal flash. Also, 3/16 eyes brass eyes, #2 hook. Olive over tan with an orange throat can be just as good, especially on darker days. 90% of the time I'm fishing it on an intermediate line
Last edited by Terrier on March 6th, 2021, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

procraftwes wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 2:15 pm without any specifics what depth were you fishing and/or were you on the flats?
Just along a flat, on the deep side
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Tied up some of Terrier's Lighthouse Clouser and fished them some yesterday. Spanish liked them. Managed only 1 trout. Fish were active, but seemed somewhat scattered. Lot windier than anticipated in the PM. Pretty wet ride back from east of the lighthouse. But still a pretty day on the water spent with son.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Picked up a few trout yesterday out to the west from the lighthouse - got five, including one overslot and lost a few more. A few ladyfish were around as well. The flats are still a little cool - close but not quite there. I've noticed that if that green 'sea lettuce' is still around on the flats, the water temperature has to come up a bit.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

You fellas did better than I did. Sunday I wadefished a couple oysterbars and got squat. Was bait around and I fished thoroughly. Water is so dirty, that's what I blamed it on.

Went out Saturday and poled the Seaark around looking for Redfish. Saw a bunch, mostly when I came up on them and I watched the resulting V run away from me. Cast to about a half dozen that I did sight, hooked zero. The water was so dirty my visibility was all but non-existent. Hoping it will clear up by the next sight fishing excursion.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

FlyrodC wrote: March 15th, 2021, 3:43 pm You fellas did better than I did. Sunday I wadefished a couple oysterbars and got squat. Was bait around and I fished thoroughly. Water is so dirty, that's what I blamed it on.

Went out Saturday and poled the Seaark around looking for Redfish. Saw a bunch, mostly when I came up on them and I watched the resulting V run away from me. Cast to about a half dozen that I did sight, hooked zero. The water was so dirty my visibility was all but non-existent. Hoping it will clear up by the next sight fishing excursion.
Yep it was not the best quality. Did manage a throwback red on a crafty shrimp and son did likewise on spin. Wind really picked up when we got back up a creek and TM switched out, hoping just the battery.