St Marks NWR - 02 May 2021

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

Re: St Marks NWR - 02 May 2021

Post by Terrier »

Where did you get it? Pomps are my favorite fish to catch on the fly - I've only got a few. Picked up two trout at the refuge today - 20" and 16", plus two puffers that wrecked my flies.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Terrier,

SGI. Also, we caught spanish, lady's, and blue runners. Other species were around, but no love on those. Never know what you'll pull around there.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Tough day today on the St Marks flats - brutal east wind. bounced a few clousers off my back. Did manage a 17" redfish and a 24" trout - trout was nice and fat and fought well on the 7wt. Added a ladyfish later but packed it in at noon. Looked like the wind was starting to lay down somewhat.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Yeah, a little windy. We went up a creek east of SM. I only managed a 24 red on a Borski slider. Son got a better red, a nice 18 flounder and a couple throwback trout on jigs. We scadadled and beat the rain late afternoon, so didn't get to fish the outgoing. We had got caught in the storm two weeks ago, nasty bad, and learned our lesson.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

You fellers ever try gotchas or crazy charlies at sgi ?
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

I've tried a few charlie type patterns - tan charlies should work well as a sand flea imitator for pomps and whiting. Yellow is another good color with gold flash, red thread.