Lower unit oil

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Lower unit oil

Post by Juan »

This has always bothered me. I hate waiting 100 or 200 hours before I know if my lower unit is low on oil or if a seal or gasket has gone bad and there's water in the lower unit. How often do you check lower unit oil condition and level? Do you wait until a scheduled service is due or check it sooner? Since they suggest replacing the vent and fill plug seals every time you remove the plugs, it seems there should be a better way to check the oil level and if the oil is contaminated before more serious problems develop. Someone needs to invent a see through vent plug. :hammer:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Lower unit oil

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I change mine yearly, I thought that the etecs had a neat feature with a sight glass like a hydro tank on a tractor.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

dropaline

Post by dropaline »

good idea! It would make somebody some $$$$
edif

Post by edif »

if you dont feel comfortable change it every 6 months ...not that expensive and gives great piece of mind.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

edif wrote: November 30th, 2021, 1:43 pm if you dont feel comfortable change it every 6 months ...not that expensive and gives great piece of mind.
That's probably a good plan but with my luck, braid would get wrapped around the prop and ruin a prop seal an hour after I changed the oil. I'd like to see a way to monitor the oil's condition. A see thru vent or fill plug, a sight window built into the oil chamber or a waterproof dip stick. There's got to be a better way than just hoping the oil stays in good shape until it's time to change it. :hammer:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
edif

Post by edif »

you could always snatch the prop off and check it if the seal is leaking there will be visible signs and dont forget to re-grease the prop shaft with water resistant grease..you are right someone should have come up with a working solution a long time ago.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I'm glad you brought this up. It's probably time for me to check the prop shaft. No telling what manner of foreign material has gathered around it.
You are right, there should be a better way to check the oil level and condition. That being said, plug gaskets are relatively inexpensive and sometimes you can find multi packs on sale. Cheap insurance.