To boat or not to boat....

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

trout fisher
Site Sponsor

To boat or not to boat....

Post by trout fisher »

The family and I will be spending 7/2-7/9 at St. Joe Beach. We usually go the week after the 4th to avoid the crowds and mayhem. This year due to cheer camps and other various activities we had to make an exception. I always take a boat. One problem I have is that the house we rented this year has limited parking, no room for the boat. I'll have to rent a spot for it at the storage place. Secondly, the aforementioned crowds and mayhem. I'm thinking for a stress-free vacation maybe leave the boat at Econfina. But I worry that I'll be miserable looking at all that water and not being able to get out on it. Can the forum brotherhood offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

I did book a charter for the 4th for me and the two oldest daughters.
micci_man

Re: To boat or not to boat....

Post by micci_man »

As soon as you don't take it you will be looking at all of the fish others are catching. That is a long time to be there boatless. I'd take it... Crowds shouldn't be too bad with scallop season closed at the moment. Good luck
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

there is no way i would go and look at all that water that is fish able and know that i left my boat somewhere else
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Hogfish24336

Post by Hogfish24336 »

I guess you have to ask your self is the enjoyment or lack there off worth it to pay for parking. Personally I've done this same thing before and didn't take mine and regretted it for 7 nights lol.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Or ask yourself which will make you more upset. To take you boat and not be able to use it, or not take it and be able to use it. It's an easy call for me. Good luck
Last edited by Salty Gator on June 29th, 2016, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I've taken my boat there many times for a single day or weekends. No way I could stand a week without....
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I get bugged out enough when I'm by the water and haven't even a fishing pole with me. Can't imagine staying by the water and leaving the boat at home.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Presnells is being remodeled (new ramp and management) and you could probably store it there. A little drive around but close to good fishing.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

That's a heck of a drive to go between St Joe and Eco...

Call the local places down there and get some ideas for weekly/daily storage rentals you can use. :beer: :beer:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Have a great vacation my friend! Charter sounds like fun for sure! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Mexico Beach Marina had rental slips for a pretty decent weekly price a couple of years ago and we parked our trailers at the city ramp with lots of others, not posted on their web site but a way better drive especially if you plan on fishing outside the bay, I suspect PSJ marina would also have room. The city ramp has a $10/day fee now so may make storage on the water less expensive if you fish the whole week.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

galantnole wrote:That's a heck of a drive to go between St Joe and Eco...

Call the local places down there and get some ideas for weekly/daily storage rentals you can use. :beer: :beer:
:D Oh no, I wasn't doing that. I keep my boat at my little place at Econfina. It would be like leaving it at home and not carrying a boat.

I appreciate all the comments fellas. I was thinking the same thing. My wife put those evil thoughts in my head about not carrying a boat. I'll be sure and tell her I received expert advice on the situation.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Knowing you, there are really only 2 choices:

1) Take the boat; or
2) Take enough natty light to make you forget that you forgot to take the boat.

I think option 1) will probably not land in you in as much trouble as option 2). :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

MudDucker wrote:Knowing you, there are really only 2 choices:

1) Take the boat; or
2) Take enough natty light to make you forget that you forgot to take the boat.

I think option 1) will probably not land in you in as much trouble as option 2). :smt005
I think you are correct. We compromised. I'm taking the pontoon, not a fishing machine but something the whole family can go out on and enjoy, (which is what it's about anyway). Thanks again fellas for all the advice. :thumbup:
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I guess I am a lucky man. First thing my wife says when we are going to the beach is "You got the boat ready?"

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.