Rant on Shields Marina UPDATED

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Rant on Shields Marina UPDATED

Post by dombern34 »

dropped my boat off to them on the 9th of July. they told me 3 weeks before they could touch it. no problem. long story short, they still have not touched it and they called yesterday to inform me that it would be another week before they would get to it. has anyone else had this issue? not pleased with them at the moment and this is my first time ever using them. they have pretty much soaked up my scallop season...

in their defense, they are telling me their only two mechanics are gone, one is on vacation, the other with kidney stones. but, maybe that's something that's out of their hands.

does anyone know of another Suzuki dealer that can service my motor? I want to go get the boat but I feel like I'm committed to them due to the time they have had it.

have a great weekend everyone, enjoy your boat! :smt012
Last edited by dombern34 on September 21st, 2016, 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Rant on Sheilds Marina

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry Dom, the only thing bad I've heard about sukis is the lack of people to service them. I've heard of a few others having problems with shields similar to yours. I took my boat to big bend marine on Monday. They also said they can't look at it for 2 weeks. But it will be ready in 3 if not 2. It is the busy season for sure, and I bet if they called you and let you know they were having staff medical issues, you'd have understood. Also, probaby not the best time to give 50% of you mechanic force a week off for vacation. I think parkway or sunshine marine service Sazuki. Where did you buy the outboard? Good luck. If you do decide to go elsewhere, I can tell you of one place definitely NOT to go to. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

parkway does service Suzukis. Good luck
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Back in the 70's I worked as a service writer for while. The fellow I worked for would say "you tell me how many customers will come in each day for the next year , and what their issues are, and I'll organize the best service dept in the world!"
Since we live in the real world we have to put up with mediocrity.
I've had good luck with Sunshine Marine. Pete is great at telling bad news (when necessary) in a diplomatic way.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Did you talk to the service manager about your frustrations before this post?

It is the height of the boating season and it also sounds like there were circumstances beyond control--medical issues. And those guys work hard, so they've earned their vacation time.

I've had nothing but great service from Shields Marina for the last 25 years. They are a family-owned business and a pillar in the St. Marks community.

Realize it's frustrating not having your boat to use. Hopefully this issue can be resolved amicably and you'll be on the water soon. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Working hard does deserve vacation time. I own a small business and will be taking my first week vacation in 12 years since starting out. I understand the need for vacation, but to loose half of your mechanics( if the other one is still working) during August seems a little off to me. Any business owner can choose to run their business any way they want, it's the American way. If you work hard and do a good job, you will stay as busy as you want. If you don't, maybe not. Shields has been in business for a long time, so they are doing something right, but it seems off to give an employee a week off during the busiest season without a replacement. It is no secret they are busiest June, July and August. If you have a job that was promised to be started at a certain day. Then to call 3 weeks after that to say it hasn't been started yet, isn't the best customer service. And if they knew they were giving an employee a week vacation, then they did a bad job with their estimate on time. That would bother me also Dom. Bad things come up and we understand, but I bet if they called you after 3 weeks and explained the problem, all would have been fine. But to call 5-6 weeks later is hot garbage customer service. And I would have hoped it was the service manager that gave you the courtesy of a phone call( with an apology) after 5 weeks of your boat sitting there. Hope you get it worked out
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Thanks, guys. I was looking for another reason to suck it up and stick with kayak & wadefishing for one more year...
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

silverking wrote:Did you talk to the service manager about your frustrations before this post?

It is the height of the boating season and it also sounds like there were circumstances beyond control--medical issues. And those guys work hard, so they've earned their vacation time.

I've had nothing but great service from Shields Marina for the last 25 years. They are a family-owned business and a pillar in the St. Marks community.

Realize it's frustrating not having your boat to use. Hopefully this issue can be resolved amicably and you'll be on the water soon. :thumbup:

I did not talk with the service manager, I did ask for him on this last phone call but he was not there at the moment. Now I'm not saying that shields is the worst place ever and I'm not holding things they can't control against them. I am however unpleased with their service at the moment. Kidney stones is something you don't prepare for, I get that. I just think if their last mechanic is going to take vacation, they would at least have someone else to help with the load. Just like any normal place of work, work doesn't stop if people go on vacation. Again, I'm not knocking the guy for taking vacation. I'm upset that they wouldn't give me a straight answer about it. It started with the guy hurting his back, then the guy had a fever and was in the hospital, now he has kidney stones.

we are now on the 7th week of no boat, I was informed last Friday that it will probably be another week before they touch it, and then however long to complete the task...

I completely agree, these guys probably do work hard, especially if there is only two guys and they are responsible for the load of boat's I've seen, but I believe management could do a better job by possibly hiring someone seasonal to help with the busy season, just my opinion. But, then again, I don't own a marina so maybe it's more complicated than that lol.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Internet rants are like excuses.....they only make the person giving them feel better. Would it make you feel any better if the owner told me recently that he wished he could sell the business and walk away to relieve the stress he is under. A family business that has been in business longer than most of us have been alive.

It would be somewhere between difficult and impossible to hire a qualified marine tech for the "busy season". Those guys already have full time jobs. Do you really want some dude off the street working on your boat? Employees get sick, employees deserve to have a vacation, employees can't get as much done when it's 100 degrees every day.

The bottom line is it's just unfortunate timing. This years Scallop Season has been a record setter in our area. Hundreds of boats on the water every weekend. Lot's of those boats were broken or have since broken down. Later this year the marine service folks will be wondering how they will survive the long lean winter. It's like my fishing buddy says...."scallop season sucks".

I feel for you Dom. Not having your boat sucks. I have been there myself, waiting for weeks. :cry:

My solution.....always have two or three boats. :smt007
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

rockyg wrote:Internet rants are like excuses.....they only make the person giving them feel better. Would it make you feel any better if the owner told me recently that he wished he could sell the business and walk away to relieve the stress he is under. A family business that has been in business longer than most of us have been alive.

It would be somewhere between difficult and impossible to hire a qualified marine tech for the "busy season". Those guys already have full time jobs. Do you really want some dude off the street working on your boat? Employees get sick, employees deserve to have a vacation, employees can't get as much done when it's 100 degrees every day.

The bottom line is it's just unfortunate timing. This years Scallop Season has been a record setter in our area. Hundreds of boats on the water every weekend. Lot's of those boats were broken or have since broken down. Later this year the marine service folks will be wondering how they will survive the long lean winter. It's like my fishing buddy says...."scallop season sucks".

I feel for you Dom. Not having your boat sucks. I have been there myself, waiting for weeks. :cry:

My solution.....always have two or three boats. :smt007
You're right! lol this rant does absolutely nothing for me nor does it solve the problem. it honestly hasn't made me feel better either lol. Shields is a great business, I'm not knocking that aspect of it. I just didn't appreciate how the service guys gave me the run-around instead of just being straight with me. it's just not the correct way of business. but like I said, punching this keyboard doesn't solve the problem either and I'm by no means boycotting them. was just curious if anyone else was dealing or has dealt with this kind of issue.

I could only imagine the stress that Mr. Shield's is constantly under. but at the same time, it's part of the job. it is unfortunate timing and I guess I have no choice but to accept it.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

A happy customer will usually tell 10 people. An unhappy customer will usually tell 30 people, or more. A good buddy( forum member) stores his boat at shields year round, but takes it elsewhere for maintenance. Never for bad work, but bad estimates on when they can get to it, and how long it will take. Pretty shocked you never got a call/ apology from the service manager. You can accept it or you can go elsewhere, also the American way. You can choose to spend your good money anywhere you'd like.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

I use a mobile marine service for my Suzy. They come to me, and it never has taken that kind of time.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I don't know about Mr. Sheilds but a building contractor would saying, "It will be two weeks."

HOPE THAT HELPS.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Shields is a marina storage facility with a repair shop.

Just a guess but their storage customers probably come first if you don't keep your boat there.

If they haven't touched it and you're not happy then go get it.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I will never say anything bad about them after all they did to help my two nephews get back on the water one day. Customer service that exceeded any expectations for 2 guys that have never used them.

I understand your frustration though. I had a very similar problem with another local shop that some guys seem to love. The owner was rude, the estimated amount and time to completion were ridiculous and delivered in a way that instantly pizzed me off. So I got it out of there and got it to my guy (at no little expense) and got it back in 1/4 the time and for 1/2 the money. May have just caught them on a bad day on the 2 days I tried them out (and another day my buddy did). They will never see any of my money and I know a lot of folks think highly of them (or so it seems).

A good mechanic is like a good lawyer. You almost hate to brag on them because they will get busy and then you have to wait for them. I find one I trust and then am very loyal to them. I even bought a brand motor I did not prefer because that is what my guy works on.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?