bending a new windshield

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

bending a new windshield

Post by geofish »

Old windshield was scuffed up and too short, a new one would be over $500 if I could find one, so I watched enough you-tube videos to think I could make one myself.
Bought the tinted acrylic (on-line. Made a template tracing the top of the old windshield from poster-board, then cut out the lexan shape. Built a little bending thingamajig with plywood + some stainless screws, an aluminum u-channel, and some 20 gauge Ni-Chrome wire (and one spring to hold it tight when the wire sags during heating). Old car battery charger provided the DC power output.
Anyway, I'm pleased with the outcome. Main lesson was to be a little more careful with the scalpel when cutting the protective paper (scratched a bit), and believe the guy who said he had to wait 11 minutes for the acrylic to heat over the wire before trying to bend it. If you rush the bending it will crack, and if you pull out your heat gun to spead it up, it will form small bubbles in the plastic. Ask me how I know. :-)
Here are some photos. If anyone wants to try it, I'll happily share my bending jig.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: bending a new windshield

Post by silverking »

Looks good! :thumbup: You always learn some new tricks when doing projects like this.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

That looks great! A lot better than I would have been able to do. :thumbup:
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Nice.

Are your services available for hire?

I need a windshield, that like yours, is un-obtanium.
All photos copyright @saverymill
geofish

Post by geofish »

I won't take your money, but if you buy your own materials, I'm happy to lend you the apparatus I built for bending acrylic and walk you through the process or do it with you. Send me a PM if you have questions or want to set up a time to meet.
george