Emergency MMSI — how to test if GPS & radio are linked??

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hawkeye

Emergency MMSI — how to test if GPS & radio are linked??

Post by Hawkeye »

After reading the exciting account last month of the guys out in rough water and their boat capsizing, I decided it was finally time to register my craft to get an MMSI number for mayday calls.

Got the MMSI number, and I entered that into my VHF radio.

But, is my GPS connected?

I hope, but don't know how to check, that the marina that sold me the boat hooked up the GPS to the VHF radio, so that if bad things happen and I hit the little red button, my location is broadcast along with the emergency call.

But ... is there a way to test to see if it works as it should?
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Emergency MMSI — how to test if GPS & radio are linked??

Post by zload »

My current radio shows the GPS coordinates on the display, seems like my original radio showed GPS OK or something similar on one of the screens to show that the radio was receiving the GPS input.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Thanks.

I'll give it a look again.

I did not notice the GPS, but it might be the case.

The VHF is about 10 years old and is pretty simple, nothing fancy.
sailcat

Post by sailcat »

If you need to test to see if the DSC feature is working, do not test the red distress button as this will send out an illegal false alarm and cause an unnecessary rescue response! Instead, you may run a test call to the nationwide Coast Guard MMSI number, 003669999. Enter this number into your radio’s calling memory and select the “Test Call” option from the radio’s list of individual DSC calls, then press the “call” or “enter” key. Your radio will silently hail the Coast Guard with a digital signal on channel 70. If everything is working properly, your radio will almost immediately receive the Coast Guard’s acknowledgement of your call, providing assurance that both your radio and the Rescue21 system are operating properly. Alternatively you may also use the DSC function to privately hail another boater’s MMSI number so that they can verify what MMSI came up on their ID. The DSC functions do not work until an MMSI number is programmed in. If your radio contains or is connected to a GPS, the signal will also provide your exact coordinates.

I've been wondering the same thing, maybe this will help??
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Sailcat, this is exactly what I needed to know.

I'll check to see if my radio has this function. It is a basic unit, but it might.

I've not used the radio much and don't know its ins and outs. I just turn it own to listen to traffic or in case someone should need help.

Yes, I asked to question to avoid the "false alarm" test.

Many thanks.