St. Marks bird rack

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wskybiz

St. Marks bird rack

Post by wskybiz »

So yesterday I went out to the sandbar to unwind with some company and was shocked to see the bird rack has been chopped down to just 4 posts cut clean about 4 feet above the bottom rung. The light was moved from the old point to the top of one of the stubbs. There was a coast guard buoy tender vessel I passed so I guess they did it but wondering what the reason/ plan is? I can't upload a pic but it looks awful
Srbenda

Re: St. Marks bird rack

Post by Srbenda »

wskybiz wrote:So yesterday I went out to the sandbar to unwind with some company and was shocked to see the bird rack has been chopped down to just 4 posts cut clean about 4 feet above the bottom rung. The light was moved from the old point to the top of one of the stubbs. There was a coast guard buoy tender vessel I passed so I guess they did it but wondering what the reason/ plan is? I can't upload a pic but it looks awful
That was a great landmark, or watermark as it were, I can't imagine why making it smaller would beneficial? It seems as a hazard it would be even more dangerous
All photos copyright @saverymill
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Probably just temporary until they erect a new range marker. The USCG is a government operation, after all. Never too fast with anything.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I thought it had been halfway torn down or taken down several years ago. I know it was much bigger in the past than it has been in the last 2 or 3 years.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

ropeman wrote: I know it was much bigger in the past than it has been in the last 2 or 3 years.
That's what she said :D
wskybiz

Post by wskybiz »

UPDATE: So much for repairing it, I saw yesterday the bird rack is completely GONE!
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

wskybiz wrote:UPDATE: So much for repairing it, I saw yesterday the bird rack is completely GONE!
I saw nothing on Saturday, and yes it appears to have vanished. I hope it's replaced with something, it was a welcome landmark in the bay.
All photos copyright @saverymill
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

It's been a while since this question has come up, but does anybody know if the tower will be put back up?