Best way to paint a skeg?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'm constantly rubbing the paint off of my skegs and haven't been able to find a paint that sticks to the bare metal very well. I've been using Krylon 2X that is supposed to be a primer and paint combination but it comes off easily. Is there a paint made for painting skegs? If so, does it come in Suzuki white and Honda silver? What do I need to do to make the paint last? (besides quit running in shallow water) There has to be a better way cuz my way isn't working. :smt009
Any ideas would be appreciated. :thumbup:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Best way to paint a skeg?

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote:I'm constantly rubbing the paint off of my skegs and haven't been able to find a paint that sticks to the bare metal very well. I've been using Krylon 2X that is supposed to be a primer and paint combination but it comes off easily. Is there a paint made for painting skegs? If so, does it come in Suzuki white and Honda silver? What do I need to do to make the paint last? (besides quit running in shallow water) There has to be a better way cuz my way isn't working. :smt009
The paint seems to come off quickly even when done “professionally”. Every time I’m get my skeg redone( which has been a number of times), the paint seems to come off on the first trip out. A skeg isn’t supposed to be pristine unless it’s on the showroom :-) let her rip
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Post by rammerjammer »

I use Rustoleum on mine, but like SG said, it don’t have to be pretty!
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Like SG said, skegs are always gonna show some wear and tear. With that said, the few I have done in the past have had pretty good results using this method. Use 80 or 100 grit sand paper on a palm sander and remove old chipped paint and rough the area up a little bit. Use some acetone or something similar to completely clean the area. Once the area is prepped, use zinc chromate primer ($6). This will help the top coat stick. Then use whatever touch up motor paint you desire. I know Yamaha has a wide selection based on the color of your motor. Good luck with it. :thumbup:
https://mavikmarine.com/marpro-zinc-chr ... gJF1PD_BwE
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

Check out Moeller Marine Products, they have the zinc chromate primer and the matching engine paint.
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I wouldn't paint it. When I see somebody at the ramp with a fully painted prop and skeg there's a giant red sign that lights up in my brain saying "ROOKIE". This is normally the guy who spends 30 minutes blocking the ramp loading coolers, tackle, etc. Then another 20 minutes trying to back the trailer down the ramp.

Watch out for those sorts and don't try to become like them. :thumbup: :-D

On the flip side of the coin when I show up at the Aucilla ramp and see a guy with his skeg totally covered with a Waivel Porter rock guard I think "This guy's been here before!" I'm gonna ask him if they've been catching any.

- Steve Stinson
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

Hey Steve, that rock guard sometimes makes you think you are bullet proof, but when you find one of those under water treasures that is man enough to prove you wrong it's just more money down the drain (me) x 2 :-D , i am older and some what wiser now. I think :lol:
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Oh man I could not imagine a rock guard meeting an immovable object. Yikes! Can’t be good.

Porter’s rock guard ain’t a slouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
southern-gent

Post by southern-gent »

Steve Stinson wrote:I wouldn't paint it. When I see somebody at the ramp with a fully painted prop and skeg there's a giant red sign that lights up in my brain saying "ROOKIE". This is normally the guy who spends 30 minutes blocking the ramp loading coolers, tackle, etc. Then another 20 minutes trying to back the trailer down the ramp.

This makes no sense. Under this logic if you get in a fender bender, dont fix your truck.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote:I'm constantly rubbing the paint off of my skegs and haven't been able to find a paint that sticks to the bare metal very well. I've been using Krylon 2X that is supposed to be a primer and paint combination but it comes off easily. Is there a paint made for painting skegs? If so, does it come in Suzuki white and Honda silver? What do I need to do to make the paint last? (besides quit running in shallow water) There has to be a better way cuz my way isn't working. :smt009
Hey Rick, I thought you liked those bolt on skeg guards. Didn’t we go back and forth about it a couple of years ago?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Salty Gator wrote:
Hey Rick, I thought you liked those bolt on skeg guards. Didn’t we go back and forth about it a couple of years ago?
I do David, but for fixing a broken skeg. Got one on the Carolina skiff and might end up putting one on the Sea Pro if I can't find a way to get the paint to stick to the skeg. I'm kind of anal about my boats so I don't mind looking like a rookie by having a new looking skeg. That might actually be an advantage since no one will follow me or ask where I'm fishing. :-D

Thanks for the suggestions.. I'm trying one more time. Today I sanded the skeg then cleaned with acetone before painting. I'll add a couple more coats and then see how well it sticks. I've already looked up a SkegGuard part number. :-?
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/