Trim / Smart tabs?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Trim / Smart tabs?

Post by Juan »

I could use some suggestions. My little skiff will porpoise when trimmed up more than just a little bit even with the hydrofoil on the motor and as much weight moved forward as possible.. It will run close to 40 wide open as is but I should be able to trim it higher to get the best performance and run in shallower water and I can't without it porpoising so I'd like to install smart tabs or something else to stop the porpoising but the boat has a narrow beam and I don't think there is enough room on the transom for smart tabs. I don't need the speedometer pick up on the port side so I can remove that but I need to keep the transducer on the starboard side. Are there any other options? Do they make or could I fabricate a set of small stationary tabs and would that even work?
20200430_081811.jpg
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
FishWithChris

Re: Trim / Smart tabs?

Post by FishWithChris »

Do you have a jackplate? If not, do that first. Otherwise, what position is the motor in? move it up one hole. If you don't have a jackplate that should be your first step, as the setback will allow greater efficiency of the motor and help minimize the porpoising.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

I was having the same problem with my boat. It's a 22 skeeter bay boat with a mechanical jack plate. Had a set of limited space trim tabs installed and wow what a difference they made. Now you sit down and hold the ----- on. Hope this helps.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Tabs won't help much with that minimal deadrise hull (flat). Volvo does make some fixed blade type that extend straight up and down. Not sure the size or cost would be feasible for your application though.

Agree with Chris. First things I'd try would be raising the engine and/or adding a manual jack plate. Most boats are rigged with the outboard cavitation plate level or only slightly above the bottom of the transom for optimum performance.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I put on a stern lifting 4 blade power tech prop on my pathfinder and it instantly resolved all of my porpoising problems( which required constantly trimming my bow all the way down). It also helped with blowing out in turns and I can run my Jack plate all the way up( before I could only go 2 inches). Call Powertech and they will tell you if they can help.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Thanks, I appreciate the replies. That's what I love about this forum, everyone is always willing to help! I hadn't thought of some of those options. I don't think I want the added weight of a jack plate but motor height may be the problem since it's mounted as low as it will go and I thought raising it would only make the porpoising worse. The cavitation plate appears to be flush with flow line of the transom but I'll try raising the motor a little and see if it helps before exploring the other options.
Thanks again...
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Try a 4 blade prop.
I know on my boat, moving the motor up makes the porpoising worse, and moving it down improves the position.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Sell the boat.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Juan wrote:Thanks, I appreciate the replies. That's what I love about this forum, everyone is always willing to help!
Well, "ALMOST" everyone. :-D
Srbenda wrote:Try a 4 blade prop.
I know on my boat, moving the motor up makes the porpoising worse, and moving it down improves the position.
That's what I was thinking would happen to mine but it was bottomed out so I just finished moving it up one notch. If that doesn't make it better, I'll be hunting for a 4 blade. Thanks
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Love my 4 blade. Lost barely anything, if at all, from the top. But man is she torquey and def rides higher in the water at lower speeds. I didn't have porpoising issues, but for skiffs... they'rea great upgrade regardless

sent from the Ketchup Packet
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

THANKS guys!! The advice to raise the motor was right on. I raised it one hole (about 2") took it to the river and tried it out and now it's perfect! My wife must be an outboard mechanic. When I told her I had raised it two inches, she said it's amazing what an extra two inches can do! :o
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

A very cheap fix, and you get to keep your boat. A good day!
D
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Juan wrote:THANKS guys!! The advice to raise the motor was right on. I raised it one hole (about 2") took it to the river and tried it out and now it's perfect! My wife must be an outboard mechanic. When I told her I had raised it two inches, she said it's amazing what an extra two inches can do! :o
:lol: