Trolling Motor Repair

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishWithChris

Trolling Motor Repair

Post by FishWithChris »

Like most of you on this forum, I run the heck out of my boat and put my accessories to the test almost every trip - especially the Trolling Motor! Well, this happened a month ago now, but I wanted to give a quick shoutout to the guys at TM Service Center over at Capital Circle NW here in Tallahassee. I bought a new 80lb Terrova iPilot in December, upgraded from the 70lb co-pilot.

I was floating over a heavy rock patch and at a heavy drift, the TM was in the down position and got caught.. snapped the shaft (drifting at 3-4kts, crazy wind day). I couldn't lift up the TM fast enough. Literally, snapped and lost the front casing for it. I had to completely remove the TM and lay it in the deck. Crazy!

I called the guys at TM Service Center immediately that Monday, dropped it off that afternoon, and thankfully they had a new shaft in waiting. Replaced under warranty and back within the week! Doug Walker and his son... also Doug, did a great job and were super easy to work with. Good as new! I was lucky, however, as the Minn Kota centers are currently closed and parts being shipped out are delayed.

(they also put back my other TM that I attempted to self-repair the armature for and failed at, which was appreciated).

If you've ever looked at the Minn Kota website, you'll find that for warranty work you're limited to different types of servce. A Servicing Dealer (only take the TM to the location you bought it from, dealer can choose to service it or not pending where you bought it from) and a Service Center (authorized to work on MK TMs no matter where they were purchased from, with a direct parts relationship with MK). These guys are an Authorized Service Center.

Just a quick plug for these guys:
8AM - 530PM M-F
1475 Capital Circle NW
Tallahassee, FL 32303
(850) 264-8080
E-mail - TMServiceFL@gmail.com

...they work on MotorGuides as well ;)
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Red Beard

Re: Trolling Motor Repair

Post by Red Beard »

Thanks FWC for that info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

I've also been very satisfied with TM Trolling Motor service.
topheavy

Post by topheavy »

Thanks for the heads up.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

That's awesome. :thumbup: Kudos to the shop. Unless it's due to a factory defect I don't think damage or breakage is normally covered under their warranty. (At least that's what my warranty states.) I thought the composite shafts were supposed to flex and be almost unbreakable... That's the first time I've heard of one breaking.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

they fixed me up!!!!!!!!!
very happy with service
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Nice! I'll go there when mine is up for replacement...
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Has there been a recent change in ownership?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Salty Gator wrote:Has there been a recent change in ownership?
From what Doug was telling me at the shop was that he and Bill (previous owner) were pretty good friends, and Bill was stepping down to retire so Doug bought him out. Shop is joined with Doug's auto-shop there. Happened 3ish years ago? I think?

Juan wrote:That's awesome. :thumbup: Kudos to the shop. Unless it's due to a factory defect I don't think damage or breakage is normally covered under their warranty. (At least that's what my warranty states.) I thought the composite shafts were supposed to flex and be almost unbreakable... That's the first time I've heard of one breaking.
They certainly don't break often, but it happens. MK has a 1yr warranty on the shafts, or similar.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Pm sent
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven