1968 Johnson 6hp **wont start**

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

1968 Johnson 6hp **wont start**

Post by dolphinatic »

I have a 1968 Johnson 6hp that has been sitting up for almost 20 years inside a shop. I put new fuel through last week it and ran it for 20 minutes with no issues. Ran it a few more times, started on the first pull. Went out to start it today, and it wont start. Pulled and cleaned the plugs, shot starter fluid into the carb....nothing. Acts as if there is no spark. I'm assuming maybe a bad coil or points? Thinking the easiest solution would be to take it to a mechanic but not sure of one that would touch it. The last 2 older motors I took to local mechanics running, never ran again. One seized up, the other lost spark. So, I'm kind of hesitant of taking it to just anybody. Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks,
Tom
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
doomtrpr_z71

Re: 1968 Johnson 6hp **wont start**

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Take a look at this webpage, it's should be helpful https://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_magneto.htm
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

You can check the spark by pulling a plug, re-connecting the wire, and pull the cord to watch for spark. It works best in a dark room and somebody may have to stand in back to see the plug. A stuck needle valve will make it act the same way, you said it's been sitting up for a long time. Good luck with it.
Yours in the South
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Both plugs are sparking fine. I guess I'll be doing some carb work. It has ran fine every time I have started it....till yesterday. Just ran it a week ago and it idled fine for 20 minutes, Weird...
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

What do the fuel lines look like?
Yours in the South
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Fuel lines are clean.

Team BevisRealty.com
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Well, if you have spark and compression, that only leaves fuel. It is very possible that the carb got gunked up with some old debris from sitting for so long.
A new bowl screen and cleaning the needles might be all she needs. It wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel lines. They can get "crumbly" on the inside.