Recommendations - Spot lock trolling motor

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Recommendations - Spot lock trolling motor

Post by Salty Gator »

No one EVER said, I wish I had less power......But when mine goes, I’ll get another 80 lb 24 v ( probably rhodan because it would be easier for me to get it serviced, but my mk has never need servicing). I don’t creek fish much in that boat, so can’t speak to ripping creek tides. But I don’t think mine ever went over 7 on a ripping full moon offshore current.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Salty Gator wrote:No one EVER said, I wish I had less power.......

True...but there is overkill. I know a guy with a 24' Bay who went from a 24V to a 36V and says he wishes he hadn't because of the extra battery weight and space required.
I'd say 24v 80 thrust is enough on most bay boats under 24' but if ya want the extra power the perfect set up would be 36v with one 36v lithium battery. But that 36v battery is EXPENSIVE!
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
bbb

Post by bbb »

If you venture offshore from time to time, you will appreciate the 72” shaft and the 112# of thrust. The 60” could porpoise out of the water in a 2’ chop. But if your a calm water, flats, rivers and creeks kinda guy, 60” and 80# will do.

I fished the intracoastal waterway one day and the tide was ripping and my motor was on setting 7-8 trying to hold us. Think I got 3 hours out of my 24v trolling motor that day on spot-lock. Another day with very little tide running I held all day.

There is no 100% right answer for Brand, Shaft length, or Thrust.
Ebryant

Post by Ebryant »

[quote][Do I need to think through linking it to my GPS/Fish Finder?
I've got a Lowrance but want to go back to Garmin.
/quote]

I have Garmin 74dv with chirp I would like to trade for a Lowrance. Let me know what you have if interested. My boat is located in Panacea.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Juan wrote:Mine's pretty close to the same size too. 21.6 w/ tower. 24 V 60" shaft. If the speedometer on the trolling motor's remote is accurate, on "rabbit" it pushes the boat at 8 mph in calm water.
For the record: I was wrong! (there's a first time for everything :-D ) Double checked the speed today while fishing. Wide open was 3 mph not 8.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Juan wrote:For the record: I was wrong! (there's a first time for everything :-D ) Double checked the speed today while fishing. Wide open was 3 mph not 8.
Do you estimate fish sizes and numbers the same way? :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

silverking wrote:
Juan wrote:For the record: I was wrong! (there's a first time for everything :-D ) Double checked the speed today while fishing. Wide open was 3 mph not 8.
Do you estimate fish sizes and numbers the same way? :lol:
I'm a fisherman. What can I say? :-D