Recommendations - Spot lock trolling motor

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Recommendations - Spot lock trolling motor

Post by bman »

Ready to upgrade to one of the new style spot lock trolling motors on the 2200 Blazer Bay.
ACCA0CE3-F867-4730-B6EE-022855BDA284.jpeg
Ive had another 24 volt minnkota on the boat so the wiring is there.

What Brand should I get? I know there are a few others outside Minnkota and MotorGuide

Do I need to think through linking it to my GPS/Fish Finder?
I've got a Lowrance but want to go back to Garmin.

Suggestions? What am I not thinking about?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Recommendations - Spot lock trolling motor

Post by silverking »

Rhodan is a possibility. Big Bend Gyrene can give his input. Chuck Simpson used one for awhile, too.

Don't believe the new Lowrance TMs are designed for salt water yet. Wouldn't be compatible with the Garmin anyway. Garmin does have their own GPS motors now and would obviously be compatible with your electronics. Thought I read where Power-Pole is working on a trolling motor. Checked the site and nothing listed so it may still be under development or they dropped the project.

Other than an initial issue covered under warranty, I really like my MotorGuide Xi5. The remote control is very handy. I did not go with the GPS version, but those can be added after purchase.

Are you going with a 24- or 36-volt system? The Blazer Bay is a heavier boat, but not sure about your room for battery storage.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

We REALLY need to take a trip out together, Bman, so you can check out the Rhodan in action.

Anchoring seriously proved as simple as hitting a single "A" button. Then while on anchor have the ability to make 5' directional jogs by hitting direction arrows if want to move ever so slightly. Motor even has anchor spot and track memory options, though I didn't experiment with them the first trip out.

In video below they give example of the "jogging" feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfvtB9NeWYs[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I know this is listed as a freshwater model, but it might be worth a look.... https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/pr ... or-is-here
edif

Post by edif »

Barry i have or have had minn kotas now i have a Rodan and a friend has a motor guide will be glad to discuss what i know about them all if you would like just let me know.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I love my Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra 80. You can get the spot lock, tracking, cruise and the other functions on other brands but the Auto Stow and Deploy sold me and has saved a lot of back pains. I can stow, deploy, trim and operate it from anywhere on the boat.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Dave is correct. You’re in 36v territory
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Like outboards, it's always better to have more power and not need it than to be constantly straining. Add in the extra power requirements of the GPS anchor lock modes and you're probably gonna want to upgrade to a 36-volt system.

The lithium batteries have come down somewhat in price but they're still more than lead acid or even AGM batteries. The advantages are longer life span, reduced weight and you might even be able to get by with one battery for the system. At the very least I'd recommend quality AGMs like the Odyssey brand.

You'll also have to consider charging system. On-board with compatibility for battery type, solar or an installed charging system like the Stealth System or Power-Pole has one now, too.

Lots of decisions ahead, bman, not to mention a serious hit to the wallet. Aren't boats fun? :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

I have a 24v system with a 60" shaft, and it works in anything below 15mph winds and 1' seas. If I did it over, I'd want a 72" shaft for better rough water holding power.
My boat is 23' with a tower, so it catches wind pretty well.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Srbenda wrote:I have a 24v system with a 60" shaft, and it works in anything below 15mph winds and 1' seas. If I did it over, I'd want a 72" shaft for better rough water holding power.
My boat is 23' with a tower, so it catches wind pretty well.
I also have a 24 v system for a similar ( to Barry’s, with a full tower) boat and have never had a problem holding, even in full moon tides. Never had the batteries run down either. My mk is going strong 9-10 years out, no problems.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Well, there you go. Two responses from owners with comparable size/weight boats who both fish in similar ways as you do, Bman. :thumbup:

You could almost water ski behind my skiff with the 12-volt system, but it weighs a fraction of what a Dorado or Pathfinder does.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I have a Minn Kota Terrova I-Pilot on my Pathfinder 2200trs. 60" shaft, manual deploy, 24 volt. It's perfect in all respects (except for how much it cost) Zero problems, never run the battery down, works great in general. The 60" shaft is all I need. It's already LONG and if it's too rough to use the spot lock its too rough for me to fish.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Mine's pretty close to the same size too. 21.6 w/ tower. 24 V 60" shaft. If the speedometer on the trolling motor's remote is accurate, on "rabbit" it pushes the boat at 8 mph in calm water. Fast enough to troll. I use the spot lock a lot and I've never killed the batteries. I wish I had a 24V lithium battery but the two AGMs have been working so far.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Post by salty tiger »

I'm in 226 Robalo bay boat with a hard top. I'm using a 24v Minn Kota and wish I had a 36v. Does fine on the flats or anchored near shore for cobia, but when I'm in the creeks fighting wind and current it struggles and drains the batteries pretty quick. I can't make it a full day tournament fishing with what I have now. My boat is heavier than most 22' bay boats though.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Not saying those above are wrong, but it isn't reflective of my experiences. My 21.5' Ranger doesn't go "off-shore", but I run it hard near-shore and inshore. No doubt if you hit "rabbit" with the motor facing sideways you can knock someone out of the boat. Straight-ahead max speed is about 5mph. I can't believe a 24v would get it done fighting a rising tide out of a creek. I had a 24v on my 18' Xpress.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.