Navionics Upgrades

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Navionics Upgrades

Post by silverking »

Navionics® adds high-resolution relief shading to its
Platinum+ and HotMaps Platinum cartography products
Premium content now available for U.S. coastal waters and more than 150 lakes

OLATHE, Kan./June 11, 2020/Business Wire – Navionics, a unit of Garmin® Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), today announced that high-resolution relief shading is now available for Navionics Platinum+ marine charts and HotMaps Platinum lake maps, as well as on the Navionics mobile Boating app, for U.S. coastal waters and more than 150 lakes. Platinum products and the mobile Boating app will also feature updated SonarChart™ Shading and improved satellite imagery. These updates prepare the most bold and ambitious anglers, boaters, and divers to feel confident and aware of what lies beneath them as they explore a full suite of rich bottom topography content.

“Navionics remains dedicated to providing our customers with the finest, most up-to-date marine cartography coverage on the market,” said Marcello Albanese, Navionics director of sales and business development. “These premium features and content options demonstrate our devotion to equip all those who navigate coastal and inland waters with the most intricate and clear bottom structure detail that they need.”

Relief shading, created from multibeam surveys and high-definition data, provides a multidimensional illustration of bottom topography which can reveal hidden fish-holding formations and diving locations. Now, Navionics customers can enjoy high-resolution relief shading by downloading the chart content to Platinum+ and HotMaps Platinum chart cards for compatible chartplotter systems. The rich color and shadow of relief shading cartography is also available in a subscription to the Navionics mobile Boating app.

Updated SonarChart Shading features expanded coverage and improved satellite imagery for the 2020 boating season. This is the first update since this exclusive Navionics content was launched in 2019. The overlay coverage combines satellite imagery with detailed renderings of bottom structure, based on SonarChart 1-foot bathymetry data, to reveal visual cues of underwater topography at a glance for the ultimate situational awareness.

Navionics Platinum products are preloaded with the satellite overlay and SonarChart Shading layer, 3D view, and panoramic photos to provide customers with easy-to-interpret, colorful imagery of what exists both above and below the waterline. Using a compatible chartplotter system, or a subscription to the Navionics mobile Boating app, Navionics customers can discover the striking detail of these premium charts for an impressive and visual on-the-water experience. These additions complement the existing features of Navionics chartplotting content which include SonarChart, Community Edits, Dock-to-dock Autorouting™, and other navigation tools1.

High resolution relief shading, updated SonarChart Shading, and improved satellite imagery are included with an active subscription for Navionics chart cards and the mobile Boating app at no extra cost. Platinum+ and HotMaps Platinum chart coverage areas around the U.S range in price from $199 to $399, depending on the size and location of the coverage area. To ensure compatibility of relief shading and SonarChart Shading, only one of the shading charts can be downloaded to a Navionics chart card at a time. On the mobile Boating app, for your Apple and Android mobile devices, both chart overlays can be downloaded at the same time.
Relief Shading[1].jpg
SonarChart Shading[1].jpg
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Navionics Upgrades

Post by Juan »

Interesting. Just updated my Navionics app and I can't tell any difference. Might not work in the areas I frequent.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Wonder if they will release a software update to the older Platinum Plus cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Very cool.

Be sure to go into your map layers and add the "Shade" layer.
It's not a dramatic difference, but it does make the chart easier to read and understand.

I think I see a few new spots to fish....
All photos copyright @saverymill
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Juan wrote:Interesting. Just updated my Navionics app and I can't tell any difference. Might not work in the areas I frequent.
Srbenda wrote:Very cool.

Be sure to go into your map layers and add the "Shade" layer.
It's not a dramatic difference, but it does make the chart easier to read and understand.

I think I see a few new spots to fish....
DOH! Now I see the difference. Thanks. :thumbup:
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

How new does the card have to be to get the update or is this if you buy a card this year? I have platinum plus for the gulf but haven't installed it yet because I want to use it in my helix 10 whenever I sell my boat and upgrade .
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Don't know the answers on card upgrades. Simply passed along a press release about the new features. I'm on the Garmin/Navionics release list.

Give Navionics technical support a call or check out the web site. Sure there are other users who have similar questions. They may be spelled out in FAQ section.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:How new does the card have to be to get the update or is this if you buy a card this year? I have platinum plus for the gulf but haven't installed it yet because I want to use it in my helix 10 whenever I sell my boat and upgrade .
Your annual subscription has to be current to download upgrades. I let the subscription expire on both of my chips so can't get the updates on those but my app is still current and it works. https://webapp.navionics.com/maps/#boat ... cvbsDr_vuO
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

The app udpate is pretty solid. Well worth the yearly subscription of $15-ish. I don't use Navionics much on my Simrad (FMT) due to rarely being in that deep of water to need it, but is always great to have as an alternative.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend downloading a set of area maps to your phone from the app so they're accessible when you're out of service range. VERY helpful.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Interesting. I never knew you could subscribe to updates.

Love to see screen shots of the differences of the two to see if it’s worth the $ to get a new one.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

The bottom pictures in SK's post above show what the sonar shading looks like after the update. I can't figure out how to post a before shot.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Juan wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:How new does the card have to be to get the update or is this if you buy a card this year? I have platinum plus for the gulf but haven't installed it yet because I want to use it in my helix 10 whenever I sell my boat and upgrade .
Your annual subscription has to be current to download upgrades. I let the subscription expire on both of my chips so can't get the updates on those but my app is still current and it works. https://webapp.navionics.com/maps/#boat ... cvbsDr_vuO
Mine has never been activated so I guess it will start when it's activated
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Yep. :thumbup:
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Photo makes me miss where I grew up. Clearly Egmont and Mullet Key at the mouth of Tampa Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk