Mystery Machine..

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

firefighter64

Mystery Machine..

Post by firefighter64 »

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased what I thought was a 1720 KW, a rig that had drawn my attention for years. Well... Former owner's Ga boat registration says it's a KW, Coast Guard Capacity decal says KW 1720 Sportsman. Problem is (if you want to see it as a problem and I don't), it may not be a KW after all. A close friend with a 1520 brought it to my attention that my rear compartment layout was different than any he had seen in the 1700 series. When I went to register the boat in my name, per hull id #, it came back to a MARINE MANUFACTURING INC, out of Dublin, Ga. Closed in 2011. Strange because as I said, former reg paperwork says it a KW. Outside looks the EXACT same to me. I got it right $$ with MK 70lb ipilot, helix7, etc but hoping the hull could be the same. Is anyone familiar with this "mom and pop" operation?? I can find very little on them. Could they have built using a KW or Palm Beach mold possibly? It's a nice little 17ft rig none the less, with lots of extras( new swim ladder, Bimini, drift sock and all safety equipment).Thanks in advance for any info, Gentleman.
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Mystery Machine..

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Pretty sure that's a key largo not a key west, they are out of americus now.
firefighter64

Post by firefighter64 »

I believe you could be correct, Sir. Gonna do a lil more research and try to post a few pics via Photobucket if I can figure it out. Thanks.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

The americus manufacturing is under sak marine I think, they bought the name from marine manufacturing if I remember right.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Congratulations on finding the boat you were looking for. This is interesting and good to know because I wanted a Key West 1720 Sportsman (or similar hull and layout) to use as a river and back up bay boat and I searched for months without any luck so gave up and bought a center console Carolina Skiff. Wanna trade? :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

When I was shopping for boats the biggest difference between the Key West and Key Largo was that the Largo has wooden parts, the Key West does not.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

redcodefsu wrote:When I was shopping for boats the biggest difference between the Key West and Key Largo was that the Largo has wooden parts, the Key West does not.
Key West started no wood construction around 1994 FWIW. They weren't always wood free.