Record Boat Sales

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Record Boat Sales

Post by silverking »

The National Marine Manufacturers Association reports new boat sales rebounded sharply in May, up 59% compared to April, and up 9% from pre-pandemic levels on a seasonally-adjusted basis. Total sales in May were the highest they’ve been in a decade with upticks across all segments. Leading the growth were PWCs, saltwater fishing boats, and jet boats, which account for 41% of new boat sales annually. Also noteworthy, outboard engine shipments to boat builders increased for the second consecutive month through June.

“The new data shows a very positive start to the summer for the recreational boating industry, with increases in new boat sales across all major segments. The last time we saw such strong sales in a single month was back in 2007,” said Vicky Yu, NMMA director of business intelligence. “This strong rebound underscores a heightened interest in boating as a way to enjoy the summer with loved ones while staying close to home, especially as summer camps, sports leagues, and vacations have been cancelled amid the pandemic.”

Furthermore, June data coming in indicates this momentum to continue with healthy sales of new PWCs again in June and increases in outboard engine shipments for the second consecutive month.

“The shipment data is encouraging because outboard boats account for 60% of new boat sales annually, and suggests that dealers are placing orders as manufacturing revs back up,” noted Yu.

Highlights from the latest New Powerboat Registrations report and Monthly Shipment Report:

PWC sales reached record monthly highs for the second consecutive month in June, up 41% from a year ago, on a seasonally-adjusted basis and have fully recovered from pandemic-related losses in March and April.
Saltwater fishing boat sales were up 9% in May on a seasonally-adjusted basis, compared to a year ago.
Jet boat sales were up 31% in May on a seasonally-adjusted basis, compared to a year ago.
Outboard engine sales in June were up an average 28% from pre-pandemic levels on a seasonally-adjusted, monthly basis.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Record Boat Sales

Post by silverking »

Expect crowded waters for the rest of the summer, at least...
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

The real question is, when are the best used boat sales going to start popping up from this cycle? ;-)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I believe it, the sports center in Perry ga has sold everything they had if it's longer than 16ft and shorter than 26ft and not a single used boat in either building. What used boats that are on Facebook marketplace right now are outrageously priced for the most part.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

PhishingNole wrote:The real question is, when are the best used boat sales going to start popping up from this cycle? ;-)

Probably in a couple of years. People are getting whatever they want for their used boats. Definitely a sellers market.

More personal watercraft can’t be a good thing
Last edited by Salty Gator on July 16th, 2020, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Salty Gator wrote:More personal watercraft can’t be a good thing

Except for moving target practice. :lol:
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

PhishingNole wrote:The real question is, when are the best used boat sales going to start popping up from this cycle? ;-)

I'm guessing 18-24 months, or sooner. Considering FL is the biggest boating market in the US, and highly dependent on tourism, and unemployment claims just spiked again last week.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronaviru ... story.html
Nationwide, nearly 33 million people were collecting unemployment benefits as of June 20, according to the Labor Department. The figure stood at 2 million people in February, before the pandemic took hold.
All photos copyright @saverymill
STMU

Post by STMU »

YEP!!! Gravity taught me what comes up, must come down...and I'll be ready for a second offshore boat when it does!!!
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Srbenda wrote:I'm guessing 18-24 months, or sooner. Considering FL is the biggest boating market in the US, and highly dependent on tourism, and unemployment claims just spiked again last week.
I guess I'll have to wait to find a good (cheap) used boat. The ones I see in my price range now need just as much work as my current boat!
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

I joined the crowd Sea Hunt 210 Ulta. Hopely my last boat. Need some old retired geezers that are in good health and got a little money to go fishing.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

homboyfsu wrote:I joined the crowd Sea Hunt 210 Ulta. Hopely my last boat. Need some old retired geezers that are in good health and got a little money to go fishing.
Congrats. Sea Hunt makes a fine, solid boat. Good family company, too. I've tested several over the years for Salt Water Sportsman.