Trolling motor solar charger

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

randymullaly

Trolling motor solar charger

Post by randymullaly »

I’ve got a 36 volt (3 battery) trolling motor. The boat is stored in a location without power to charge the batteries. Looking for some advice on solar chargers as an option. Thanks
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Trolling motor solar charger

Post by silverking »

I have a solar panel on the roof of my boat shed. It's a Coleman 48-watt, if I remember correctly. I also have the Coleman voltage regulator, which is required to keep from over-charging the batteries. I got the one for either lead acid or AGM batteries. Tractor Supply is a good source.

Mine is a single 12-volt AGM system. I rigged up leads with alligator clips (with colored heat shrink to ID polarity). Have never run the battery down. Costs were about $150 with everything.

I'm not sure how it would work on multiple batteries, even in series. I'd recommend checking with Coleman or maybe an electrician or your marine technician can help?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

randymullaly wrote:I’ve got a 36 volt (3 battery) trolling motor. The boat is stored in a location without power to charge the batteries. Looking for some advice on solar chargers as an option. Thanks
I'm no expert, but with solar it is all about time and capacity. If you have a lot of time, you don't need as much capacity. From my limited experience, you will need a panel that is automatic to allow for 36v charging with a sensor not to overcharge. A friend hook one up with an inverter that he then plugged an auto charger into. He concluded this was the cheapest way to get these results. He sized his panel so that it put out the minimum amperage the battery charger required. Initially he strung together several cheap harbor freight panels, but I think he has changed to one large panel he acquired from a solar company online.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Look up Battery Tender solar. They have what you are looking for.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I was in a similar situation, but went a different route. The stealth( $350-500) or power pole( $1500+) charging systems were my options based on customer service “research.” It uses your alternator to charge all house and TM batteries. So after you run in, they are topped off. And when you run out in the am, they are topped off again. The customer service with the stealth is better than power pole if you can believe it. I’ve been pleased so far
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven