Engine Fire

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TOWM

Engine Fire

Post by TOWM »

My outboard engine caught on fire today! Recently, the tilt & trim unit was malfunctioning, so I had it worked on. It looks like the solenoid overheated and caught fire. I was able to quickly put out the fire...thank goodness I keep two fire extinguishers on board. No other damage was done to the engine and I was able to return to the launch ramp without needing to call SeaTow. Has anyone else had to deal with a fire onboard?
kenfly

Re: Engine Fire

Post by kenfly »

No sure haven’t, but that’s scary as hell, I have heard of a trim motor switch getting stuck on and will keep running until disconnect the power tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

Wow that is scary especially on the water. Hope you get everything straightened out.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Yikes. Glad you made it back safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STMU

Post by STMU »

Boat fires are a scary thing. I've had it happen to me as well. Had a generator in the boat and the exhaust pointed towards the bottom of the port side gunnel. Ran it for years that way, but I guess I had enough debris/gunk that was dry enough between the deck and bottom of the boat (in between the floor ribs) that the exhaust heated it up and caught fire. It went instantly and smoke/fire was billowing out of all sides of the boat. Couldn't get to it with the fire extinguisher since it was under the deck but was able to pull the plug, allowing water to fill the boat and put it out.

Started the boat again, hopped on planned to drain the water, and resumed activities!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I was fishing on a 43 Viking 60 miles off Cape May, New Jersey during a tournament when an electrical fire started in the galley. There were no other boats in sight. I ran the boat while the owner and crew isolated the circuit and cut power, taking care of it. Very uneasy feeling, for sure.

Glad yours worked out!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat