New boat question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Surfrdfisher

New boat question

Post by Surfrdfisher »

Hello all,
I am new new to the forum and really enjoy the information! Just bought a home on the water on Surf Road, Panacea. Previously had a home in SGI for ten years but things were getting a little built up for us. We have 4, 6 and 15 year old children and do everything together as a family. Currently have a 18ft G3 but am looking at buying another boat, my wife wants a boat with more freeboard for safety and room. In the past have had 24’ pathfinder, 28’ Fountain, 24’ Scout etc so I’m not new to boating/fishing but this area is really different to me. So on to my question, any advice on a boat to buy, safe for the kids, offshore on nice days for bottom fishing (hard to spearfish with little ones), inshore and exploring. I was thinking 22-24’ vee but this water is a-lot skinner than I am used to, price range up to 60k or so.

I appreciate any advice and look forward to contributing to the forum.

Thanks!
John21:6

Re: New boat question

Post by John21:6 »

I like the Robalo Caymans. I've used my 206 Cayman to catch tout, flounder, tripletail, red snapper, gag grouper, and more.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Keep the G3 and buy another 22 or 24 Pathfinder. You can't make one boat do it all.....it's been tried. :hammer:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
4reels

Post by 4reels »

I’m biased, but I think the Robalo 246 Cayman is the perfect combination for kids/family/offshore/inshore/etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

You can't beat the Robala Cayman. Son has a 24 and he loves it.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Surfrdfisher

Post by Surfrdfisher »

Thank you to all for the info, 4reels what a beautiful boat! I must say I am leaning towards a Robalo 246, that might just be the ticket, now if I can just find one... Rockyg agree, keeping the G3, really versatile and to many good memories, kids wont be small forever. Funny story, when my 6yo Son was an infant me and the Mrs. would put a pack n play in the back and chase redfish, redneck but it worked!
cobia2007

Post by cobia2007 »

I have fished in Tritons, sea fox and I like the Bluewave pure bay 22 because it has lots of storage and is family friendly. It can fish inshore and off.
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

I have a Sportsman 227 it is laid out well and gets pretty skinny for a bay boats. No complaints.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Sea Pro bay boats are in that price range, draft as little as 10" and they come with girls. :-D

Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/