Jon boat or Gheenoe for flats

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Jon boat or Gheenoe for flats

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Red Beard wrote: March 5th, 2021, 4:12 pm
PhishingNole wrote:Can anyone recommend what to look for in a used aluminum boat for this area?

I'd like to comfortably fish at least two adult men, handle the flats on a nice day, and get into the creeks reasonably skinny.

I get that there's nothing that can do it all, but what makes for the best compromise?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Put boat plugs in. Fill with water. If there are no leaks it’s good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welded not rivets. .08 gauge is standard aluminum. If you can find heavier (sea ark, some GatorTrax, etc), then that is better. Width = stability and displacement (ie. depth). Good luck.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Let’s be honest. If your looking to get on the water with no fear of dings and scratches hurting your pride. It doesn’t have to be any kind of brand. Get something you can afford and that you feel safe in.

Take the time to take safety gear: bilge pump, fire extinguisher, rape whistle, life jacket, mushroom anchor, and a push pole/gig so at minimum you can old school it back home. And stock some JB Weld in the garage for when a leak shows itself; Apply let it dry and keep on trucking.

Your not conquering the high seas, and fish don’t care what your fishing from. Don’t get caught up on the brands. I’m sure more can validate this.. more fish have been caught from an aluminum Jon Boat than any other boat for the simple fact it’s gets you on the water.

Last edited by Red Beard on March 5th, 2021, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I've been fishing these flats for 50+ years and I have fished nearly every type boat made. My most time was spent in a 1648 fisher marine and I would not recommend a size smaller than that.

Take it from me, there is no perfect boat, but I would not venture far from shore in a ghenoe.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

MudDucker wrote:I've been fishing these flats for 50+ years and I have fished nearly every type boat made. My most time was spent in a 1648 fisher marine and I would not recommend a size smaller than that.

Take it from me, there is no perfect boat, but I would not venture far from shore in a ghenoe.
Yeah but have you caught anything in those 50 years? Ha ha J/K Go Dawgs

FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

PhishingNole wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:57 am Can anyone recommend what to look for in a used aluminum boat for this area?

I'd like to comfortably fish at least two adult men, handle the flats on a nice day, and get into the creeks reasonably skinny.

I get that there's nothing that can do it all, but what makes for the best compromise?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
4-5 years ago I spent 18 months studying this exact question. My research boiled down to the boat I eventually purchased and still own. The builder's motto - Built for a Lifetime. I found a used 2012 Seaark 1860 MVT with Yamaha 70 4 stroke, double powerpoles and an 80# thrust HC trolling motor. I love this boat but as a diehard flyfisherman, I am considering moving to a poling skiff. If I do, I'll post the boat on here first in case one of the BBF members are interested.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Big Red Head, I would venture to guess that caught more fish before I turned 25 than you will ever catch in your entire life without dynamite.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

MudDucker wrote:Big Red Head, I would venture to guess that caught more fish before I turned 25 than you will ever catch in your entire life without dynamite.
Ha ha yessir... sarcasm; and I would venture that a good portion of that time was in an aluminum boat.

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

You have a tendency to be a smartarz. I fished first from wooden boats, then fiberglassed coated wooden boats, then fiberglass and then aluminum almost exclusively on the flats for 5 or so years. First outboard used in the gulf was a 9.5 and we thought we were in high cotton when we got an 18 Evinrude. We didn't count our fish, instead we weighed them at the end of the day and I've brought in nearly 200lbs of red and trout in a single day. Nothing was wasted. I cleaned what I wanted to eat and gave the rest to folks I knew who needed the protein for free.

At the present, my fleet stands at 9 or 10 boats, because no one boat is the perfect choice, but my go to is an Old Pro 24' flatback that I redid.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

MudDucker wrote:You have a tendency to be a smartarz. I fished first from wooden boats, then fiberglassed coated wooden boats, then fiberglass and then aluminum almost exclusively on the flats for 5 or so years. First outboard used in the gulf was a 9.5 and we thought we were in high cotton when we got an 18 Evinrude. We didn't count our fish, instead we weighed them at the end of the day and I've brought in nearly 200lbs of red and trout in a single day. Nothing was wasted. I cleaned what I wanted to eat and gave the rest to folks I knew who needed the protein for free.

At the present, my fleet stands at 9 or 10 boats, because no one boat is the perfect choice, but my go to is an Old Pro 24' flatback that I redid.
In all actuality it was kind of a compliment in assuming you have caught your fair share of fish in those fifty years. Why I said “ha ha .. just kidding” and followed it with “go Dawgs”

Last edited by Red Beard on March 9th, 2021, 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Not wanting to stir the pot but seriously I have to ask: Other than maybe banging out a dent being easier than fixing fiberglass, what's the advantages of an aluminum boat over glass? I've only fished in a couple and they were noisy, light and blown around in a breeze, leaked and rode rough.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Juan wrote: March 9th, 2021, 8:17 am Not wanting to stir the pot but seriously I have to ask: Other than maybe banging out a dent being easier than fixing fiberglass, what's the advantages of an aluminum boat over glass? I've only fished in a couple and they were noisy, light and blown around in a breeze, leaked and rode rough.
I have been using a Jon boat for years in these waters and they are all the things you mentioned. They are loud and awful to pole with any breeze. Also if you hit a rock in one while running don't assume it won't slice it open like a tin can. It's never happened to me but know a couple people who have. That being said they get the job done and will float in a puddle. It's nice going to the landing on a negative tide and being able to launch while everyone else is waiting on the water to come in.

Mine is a 1548 G3 with a 25hp outboard.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

tailwaters wrote: March 9th, 2021, 9:17 am
Juan wrote: March 9th, 2021, 8:17 am Not wanting to stir the pot but seriously I have to ask: Other than maybe banging out a dent being easier than fixing fiberglass, what's the advantages of an aluminum boat over glass? I've only fished in a couple and they were noisy, light and blown around in a breeze, leaked and rode rough.
I have been using a Jon boat for years in these waters and they are all the things you mentioned. They are loud and awful to pole with any breeze. Also if you hit a rock in one while running don't assume it won't slice it open like a tin can. It's never happened to me but know a couple people who have. That being said they get the job done and will float in a puddle. It's nice going to the landing on a negative tide and being able to launch while everyone else is waiting on the water to come in.

A small nerf football works well when your aluminum hull is ripped open like a tin can. Ask me how I know
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Salty Gator wrote:
tailwaters wrote: March 9th, 2021, 9:17 am

A small nerf football works well when your aluminum hull is ripped open like a tin can. Ask me how I know
How do you know.. and where did you find a nerf football on the water? ... I gotta hear this story

STMU

Post by STMU »

Red Beard wrote: March 9th, 2021, 10:27 am A small nerf football works well when your aluminum hull is ripped open like a tin can. Ask me how I know
How do you know.. and where did you find a nerf football on the water? ... I gotta hear this story

[/quote]
STMU

Post by STMU »

Red Beard wrote: March 9th, 2021, 10:27 am How do you know.. and where did you find a nerf football on the water? ... I gotta hear this story
Not a fun experience, but the nerf does work well. Always keep one in my boat. Hit a rock hard enough...tear a piece of a nerf football off...shove it in the hole and keep on trucking. Hopefully quick enough before the boat fills with water and fast enough to get back on plane.

That being said, aluminum can take way more abuse than fiberglass. I've got plenty of dents that would have destroyed fiberglass. Plus, aluminum can be way cheaper to repair. I purchased a Hobert 190 welder with an aluminum spool gun recently. Haven't used it on the boat yet (and hoping I don't anytime soon), but the gun should pay for itself after its first use.

Aluminum does have the disadvantages you mentioned, but I'd still take a loud boat that is lighter and can drift over 'almost' anything. If I spook a fish or two that's ok. At least I can get up to them without having to worry about scratching some nice gel coat. I think it really depends on what you want. I don't treat my fishing boats nicely...I go too fast in skinny water...it's covered in dirt and slime because I don't waste my time washing it. I hit stuff sometimes, but I don't lose any sleep over it. I still catch fish, it gets me home (so far), and doesn't break the bank. I have a Alweld 1652 with a Yamaha 20hp that would cost 5x the price for a comparable fiberglass hull.