Jon boat or Gheenoe for flats

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Re: Jon boat or Gheenoe for flats

Post by Red Beard »

Learned something new.

Was just thinking about adding some cork to the boat just in case I needed a quick plug. But the game has changed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Red Beard wrote: March 9th, 2021, 10:27 am
Salty Gator wrote:
tailwaters wrote: March 9th, 2021, 9:17 am
Juan wrote: March 9th, 2021, 8:17 am Not wanting to stir the pot but seriously I have to ask: Other than maybe banging out a dent being easier than fixing fiberglass, what's the advantages of an aluminum boat over glass? I've only fished in a couple and they were noisy, light and blown around in a breeze, leaked and rode rough.
I have been using a Jon boat for years in these waters and they are all the things you mentioned. They are loud and awful to pole with any breeze. Also if you hit a rock in one while running don't assume it won't slice it open like a tin can. It's never happened to me but know a couple people who have. That being said they get the job done and will float in a puddle. It's nice going to the landing on a negative tide and being able to launch while everyone else is waiting on the water to come in.

Mine is a 1548 G3 with a 25hp outboard.

A small nerf football works well when your aluminum hull is ripped open like a tin can. Ask me how I know
How do you know.. and where did you find a nerf football on the water? ... I gotta hear this story

Excellent question. I was fishing w forum member jhultz in his old grizzly. He hit a rock in the mouth of stony bayou. It ripped a hole where the bottom meets the transom. It opened a hole bigger than a golf ball and we started taking on water. We beached on slough island and called sea tow. When he showed up he had a few small nerf footballs still in the wrapper. We ripped off the appropriate size piece and stuffed it in. I can’t remember why he had to tow us after that, but he was able to tow in back to the lighthouse. He said it would work on glass also. Good thing to keep onboard
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

cody0707 wrote:I am wanting to get a boat for fishing around in the creeks and flats out around St Marks. 90% of the time I will be solo. I am leaning towards the Jon boat due to all the rocks and oyster bars but I wanted to get you all's opinion. Which would be a better craft?
Saw a gheenoe set up on Tallahassee Craigslist for $3,800 with motor and trailer.

RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Aluminum is more abrasion resistant, but fiberglass is stronger/has better impact resistance per weight. That being said, if you plan to brush up against a lot of oysters, and that's the intended application you're purchasing your boat for, an aluminum boat would probably be my choice. The bottom of my Gheenoe is covered in gatorglide, which provides *some* additional protection, and makes it slicker than owl snot for running over vegetation while duck hunting; it does not, however, prevent oysters from taking bites out of my gelcoat with relative ease.

The nice thing about fiberglass is that it's relatively easy to repair if/when you do gouge your bottom on oysters. Unless you have experience welding aluminum, fiberglass boats--especially the little Gheenoes--are easier to work on and can be customized to suit your specific needs. The Gheenoe Classic, LT25, riverhawk B-60, etc. are also going to be more stable than a comparable-sized jonboat and significantly quieter. Just my .02.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

This Smitty 16 appears to be a good buy. If you get a few scratches, it won't break your heart.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44796
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

That Smitty seems like a good deal and probably rides good too.

I know i'd prefer it to a Gheenoe. I'd go for a Carolina skiff in the length that you want and keep it simple for real shallow fishing but that's just me.

Fiberglass has tons of abrasion resistance if you account for scratches :-D and the fact that they can be easily repaired(without welding).

I hate the hull slap of aluminum.