New Killswitch Requirement

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

New Killswitch Requirement

Post by silverking »

New federal law, effective 4/1/21:

U.S. COAST GUARD ANNOUNCES NEW LAW REQUIRING USE OF ENGINE CUT-OFF SWITCHES

MARCH 10, 20210
U.S. Coast Guard Announces New Law Requiring Use of Engine Cut-off Switches
WASHINGTON – Operators of recreational vessels less than 26 feet in length will be required to use an engine cut-off switch (ECOS) and associated ECOS link (ECOSL) as of April 1, 2021, as the U.S. Coast Guard implements a law passed by Congress.

The ECOS and ECOSL prevent runaway vessels and the threats they pose. The ECOSL attaches the vessel operator to a switch that shuts off the engine if the operator is displaced from the helm. The ECOSL is usually a lanyard-style cord that attaches to an ECOS either in close proximity to the helm or on the outboard motor itself if the vessel is operated by a tiller. When enough tension is applied, the ECOSL disengages from the ECOS and the motor is automatically shut down. Wireless ECOS have recently been developed and are also approved for use. These devices use an electronic “fob” that is carried by the operator and senses when it is submerged in water, activating the ECOS and turning the engine off. Wireless devices are available on the aftermarket and are beginning to become available as manufacturer-installed options.

Each year the Coast Guard receives reports of recreational vessel operators who fall or are suddenly and unexpectedly thrown out of their boat. These events have led to injuries and deaths. During these incidents the boat continues to operate with no one in control of the vessel, leaving the operator stranded in the water as the boat continues on course, or the boat begins to circle the person in the water eventually striking them, often with the propeller. These dangerous runaway vessel situations put the ejected operator, other users of the waterway, and marine law enforcement officers and other first responders in serious danger.

Section 503 of the Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2018 required manufacturers of covered recreational boats (less than 26 feet in length, with an engine capable of 115 lbs. of static thrust) to equip the vessel with an ECOS installed as of December 2019. Owners of recreational vessels produced after December 2019 are required to maintain the ECOS on their vessel in a serviceable condition. It is recommended that recreational vessel owners regularly check their existing ECOS system to ensure it works, following manufacturer’s instructions.

Section 8316 of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2021 requires individuals operating covered recreational vessels (less than 26 feet in length, with an engine capable of 115 lbs. of static thrust; 3 HP or more) to use ECOS “links.” Using the ECOSL is required only when the primary helm is not within an enclosed cabin, and when the boat is operating on plane or above displacement speed. Common situations where ECOSL use would not be required include docking/trailering, trolling and operating in no-wake zones.

The Coast Guard believes that the overwhelming majority of recreational vessels produced for decades have had an ECOS installed, so this new use requirement simply obligates recreational vessel operators to use critical safety equipment already present on their boat.

Seven states currently have ECOS use laws for traditional recreational vessels, and 44 states have ECOS use laws for personal watercraft (PWC).

Boaters are encouraged to check the U.S. Coast Guard website for additional information on this new use requirement and other safety regulations and recommendations: https://uscgboating.org/recreational-bo ... ch-FAQ.php
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: New Killswitch Requirement

Post by Juan »

Since it's the law now, maybe that will remind me to hook it up. ;-)
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

What about a 15hp tiller with no kill switch? It only has an on/off switch, its a Merc
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Well, since the Coasties or FWC will never be conducting a boat check while you're anything but stationary, and you're not required to use it while stationary or operating not on plane, I don't see how they will ever be able to enforce this.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

J Holden wrote:Well, since the Coasties or FWC will never be conducting a boat check while you're anything but stationary, and you're not required to use it while stationary or operating not on plane, I don't see how they will ever be able to enforce this.
Took the words out of my mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
geofish

Post by geofish »

I've been better about using mine since that accident on the river last year. Especially offshore alone . . .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'm sure to get a ticket if I don't order a wireless kill / man overboard switch. :bang_1 They should be required on every motor propelled craft anyway.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Redbelly wrote: March 11th, 2021, 3:11 pm What about a 15hp tiller with no kill switch? It only has an on/off switch, its a Merc
Evidently, if the boat was built before January 2020, and does not have a ECOS or or does not have one functioning, you are not required to use it. If it was built prior to January 2020 and has a functioning ECOS then it is required to be in use.

From the FAQ link in the first post:

Q9. My boat doesn’t have an Engine Cut-Off Switch, do I need to install one?
A9. No, unless the boat was built on or after 1 JAN 2020. The installation requirement applies to manufacturers, distributors and dealers of “covered recreational vessels” after 1 JAN 2020. For those boats, an Engine Cut-Off Switch must be installed and the owner is required to maintain it.

Q19. My 18-foot boat (2019 model) has an Engine Cut-Off Switch but it is broken and does not function. Do I need to use it?
A19. No. However, the Coast Guard recommends that your repair the Engine Cut-Off Switch and use it when operating on plane or above displacement speed.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I will add that since I have been fishing with my teen daughter we both have life jackets on when running and I have the kill switch on. It really is a smart thing to do, have read to many stories of people being hit by their boat or the boat leaving them stranded.