Skeg replacement

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jonastio

Skeg replacement

Post by jonastio »

I knocked the skeg something good while on my last jaunt going North on the Flint river. Knocked the skeg guard clean off and took the bulk of the remaining skeg with it. Gonna need a new one welded on. Anyone familiar with a shop in the area that can weld on a new skeg and not melt the lower gear-case seals?
tailwaters

Re: Skeg replacement

Post by tailwaters »

Porter Marine in Woodville.
jonastio

Post by jonastio »

I've heard about that shop, and that the original owner (Wavel?) retired and his son (Howard?) took it over within the past couple of years. They still pretty solid, then?
(Thanks for the recommendation.)
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

You shouldn't look anywhere else. Porter's in Woodville is the answer.

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
jonastio

Post by jonastio »

Just called them. Said they mostly work on outboards (this is a stern drive) but that they could get it done same day, for probably around $250.

Can't argue with that.
Last edited by jonastio on March 15th, 2021, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

jonastio wrote: March 15th, 2021, 12:00 pm Just called them. Said they mostly work on I/O motors (this is a stern drive) but that they could get it done same day, for probably around $250.

Can't argue with that.
That doesn't sound right. Last year I had him fix my skeg, put a stainless steel rock guard on and replace the hubs. I want to say in total it wasn't more than $140. Also all I have ever seen at that place is outboards. Are you sure you called Porters in Woodville?

The old guy is still working there or at least he was a few weeks ago. Needed him to take the rock guard off an older lower unit and put it on the new one. He didn't want to charge me anything and had to almost force him to take a $20.
jonastio

Post by jonastio »

Hold up, I meant they only work out outboards, not I/O. I'll edit my post to reflect that.

Interesting on the cost. 100% called Porters in Woodville - (850) 421-1490
I was just feeling hesitant as the skeg is pretty much completely gone when the skeg guard got ripped off, and it's my dad's boat so I don't wanna "oops" on the repair and risk damaging it further from the seals being overheated and ruined.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

A friend of mine got a hole in his foot welded up and a rock guard there last year. It cost $400 but they had to take all the gears out of the foot and install a new seal. My 1y/o boat has a Porter Rock Guard so I feel safer in the shallows. :thumbup:
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Porter Marine for the win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

He probably just told you $250 over the phone to cover his self. They have installed two different guards on my outboards over the years.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

where are you located?
jonastio

Post by jonastio »

Located in Tallahassee.

Dropped it off with Howard yesterday. Kinda hard to argue with the unanimous suggestion to use Porters.
jonastio

Post by jonastio »

Solid work from Porters, and that rock guard is a beast.Image

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

cleanlivin

Post by cleanlivin »

how much did it cost
jonastio

Post by jonastio »

$320 for the rock guard, skeg replacement, and prop repair.