Best compound for a non skid deck?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Best compound for a non skid deck?

Post by Redbelly »

I need to get a little chalking out that has come back. I ordered some 2M jewelers compound last time. Is there anything local on the shelf yall use for that?
Thanks
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Best compound for a non skid deck?

Post by fishinfool »

I have had good results from the 3M products.
STMU

Re: Best compound for a non skid deck?

Post by STMU »

Not sure what you mean about chalking, but I've used both interlux non-skid topcoat and kiwi grip with success. I did the whole topside of my boat with interlux when I built it 5 years ago, and haven't had the first issue with it. I'm very rough on stuff and outside of a few cosmetic blemishes, it's great. I will say that while it has some abrasion resistance, it didn't have enough grip in heavy-use areas like the casting deck, and for that I used kiwi grip.

The kiwi grip is a one-part compound unlike the spray-on or roll-on bedliner stuff, so you never have to worry about it separating or peeling. It's also easy to apply and maintain. I've had mine 5 years and haven't had any issues yet, but if it starts to wear all you do is sand/scuff it a little and reapply another coat directly on top. You can also adjust how grippy/abrasive you want it when applying. Comes with a special roller and the more you roll it the more abrasive you get. Originally designed for sailboats, comes in multiple colors but I believe you can add dye to try to match if so inclined.