Local Nautical School or Training?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Leoparddog

Local Nautical School or Training?

Post by Leoparddog »

All of my boating has been on large lakes (Lake Lanier GA) with my own small boat and I've been a passenger on many trips out of Destin for fishing and diving going back 40+ years. Now I'm considering buying my own boat, a 22-24'' Bay or CC, for fishing in the area. Realizing that I don't know what I don't know, I did some searching on the 'net for local nautical schools or training but had no luck. Are there any resources or classes you know of in the area? I'm in Tallahassee. Thanks
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Local Nautical School or Training?

Post by ugadawg »

You can hire a guide to go on your boat and teach you to run the area you want to fish. There are no formal schools to teach you the area that I am aware of.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

You could take a class online for your Florida Boating License. I'm not sure how much real info you would get, but that would be a start.
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

Thanks,
Hiring a guide for a trip or two will definitely help.
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

You might check into the Coast Guard Auxillary. I know they have a local chapter. On their website, they offer a variety of courses. I've never taken one but I've seen their displays at various outdoor events.

https://www.cgaux.org/boatinged/
TheReelPapaSquat

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

Do NOT follow the advice of the captain's of the bass boat or pontoon offshore to grouper fish.