Garmin depth finder GPS on the fritz?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TOWM

Garmin depth finder GPS on the fritz?

Post by TOWM »

What is the typical lifespan of a Garmin depth finder GPS unit? Mine is about two years old and only gets used about twice per month. The unit is stored in the garage between trips.
Today, after five hours of continuous use the unit shut off. I could not get it to turn back on. The batteries were strong as the VHF and motor and tilt/trim all worked fine. During the ride back to the ramp I pushed the power button on the Garmin and it started working... but after five minutes it shut itself off again and would not turn on.
Am I looking at a depth finder GPS unit that is on its last leg or should I look for an electrical problem? The depth finder GPS unit has worked flawlessly until today.
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin depth finder GPS on the fritz?

Post by Blue spinner »

i would look for a electric problem a long the line of the ground go to your unit
the salt water can get it any electric system that is where i would start
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

Sounds like like a fuse issue. Check the inline fuse or the connection to the fuse block. Mine was doing the same thing last year and I took out the inline fuse and it works fine now

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
TOWM

Post by TOWM »

Okay... I will inspect the ground wires and fuses and fuse box connections and try to identify an electrical fault. Is it ok to turn on the depth finder GPS unit while the boat is on the trailer in the garage? I don’t have any experience troubleshooting this equipment.
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

Yeah, just don't leave it on or you will run your battery dead

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

When checking the in-line fuse, don't be a dummy (like me), and forget to ensure the fuse is securely in place.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

My old garmin started doing this, it was the power pin in the connector that had basically corroded or eroded away, but it was about 10 years old, I fixed it by cutting the connector off and wiring in a new connector on the wire and glued in the corresponding connector on the unit, would not do that with a newer unit, I really had nothing to lose as it wasn’t worth it to have it professionally fixed. Garmin does not sell parts for their units. Your unit should still be under warranty, have them fix it.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

What model is it? Some have a plastic holder for the wires(on the quick release mount) that can fall out and not allow the plug to fully engage the pins. Happened on my friends 7".
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I don't know if this will help. A friend of mine had the same problem with his Humminbird. Turned out he needed to update his memory card.
TOWM

Post by TOWM »

I worked on my depth finder GPS unit today. I thoroughly inspected every connection point, fuse, and wiring. I tested the batteries with my multimeter. I ran the unit non-stop for about an hour and it worked perfectly...never turned off or malfunctioned. As best as I can tell there is nothing wrong.
Unfortunately, the VHF radio is now saying there is a Low Battery condition. I have seen this error before, but I could always clear the error. Today, the Low Battery warning keeps popping up and cannot be cleared. It is a New Horizon VHF radio.
I hate diagnosing and fixing electrical problems. Any recommendations where I can get the electrical system checked out and possibly redone?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Since you have a multimeter and know how to use it, test for voltage drop in your VHF circuit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpHRuddhh4
The link is a basic way to test and can be very helpful when diagnosing electrical issues.
Many times I forget to use this test with electrical problem and when I finally remember to use it, I kick myself for not doing it sooner when it locates my issue.
TOWM

Post by TOWM »

I just remembered to post a resolution for my gps unit that was on the fritz. My batteries were drained just enough that the gps unit would not stay on. After fully charging the batteries the gps is working fine. I have taken the boat out six times since April and the gps is working well. Thanks for all the suggestions and troubleshooting tips.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: