Plotter recommendation $500-1,000

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PhishingNole

Plotter recommendation $500-1,000

Post by PhishingNole »

I have a new to me bay boat with an 18 year old plotter/finder that needs replacing. I intend to pick up Florida Marine Tracks eventually and would like to get a unit that will run that well.

Lots of recommendations for 12" screens online, but it wouldn't really fit well in the console and I'm having a pretty hard time making $1,500+ feel ok with the budget.

Is there a 7" or 9" unit that will run FMT well and that is reliable, user friendly, and supported well that you would recommend? Would love to keep this less than $1k.

I'm currently supplementing with the Navionics App, so the ability to sync with that would be a nice bonus.

Last edited by PhishingNole on April 5th, 2021, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: Plotter recommendation $500-1,000

Post by procraftwes »

I have a Simrad Go9 With 3in1 Transducer that was about $750.

EDIT looked up current prices and what the hell is going on with chartplotter pricing?

I'd buy something used on Ebay or wait out what the hell is going on. They want almost $1,100 for a chartplotter I bought new for $750 last year. I don't get it.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Running FMT will mean running a navico plotter, and a lowrance hook wont run those maps, academy did have the lowrance elite ti for 549 on sale.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I've got a Garmin 93sv Uhd and I've been really happy with it so far. it can be found around the top of your budget.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote: April 5th, 2021, 1:09 pm Running FMT will mean running a navico plotter, and a lowrance hook wont run those maps, academy did have the lowrance elite ti for 549 on sale.
The FMT guy would not recommend the TI series Lowrance because of poor resolution for FMT. The new Elite FS series has supposedly an upgraded screen. This is the unit i am probably going to get as i also have decided to run the FMT because of all the rave reviews from a lot of users.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

PhishingNole wrote: April 5th, 2021, 10:34 am I have a new to me bay boat with an 18 year old plotter/finder that needs replacing. I intend to pick up Florida Marine Tracks eventually and would like to get a unit that will run that well.

Lots of recommendations for 12" screens online, but it wouldn't really fit well in the console and I'm having a pretty hard time making $1,500+ feel ok with the budget.

Is there a 7" or 9" unit that will run FMT well and that is reliable, user friendly, and supported well that you would recommend? Would love to keep this less than $1k.

I'm currently supplementing with the Navionics App, so the ability to sync with that would be a nice bonus.

I might add that if you're running a bay boat, FMT, may not be ideal for you since it is designed principally for skiffs running the back water, creeks, inshore, for shallow water species. You may be paying for something that is not necessary for the type of fishing you do. Just something to think about.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

eightwt wrote:
PhishingNole wrote: April 5th, 2021, 10:34 am I have a new to me bay boat with an 18 year old plotter/finder that needs replacing. I intend to pick up Florida Marine Tracks eventually and would like to get a unit that will run that well.

I might add that if you're running a bay boat, FMT, may not be ideal for you since it is designed principally for skiffs running the back water, creeks, inshore, for shallow water species. You may be paying for something that is not necessary for the type of fishing you do. Just something to think about.
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression FMT was precisely for bay boats trying to navigate nearshore waters.

I'll do some more reading.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

PhishingNole wrote: April 5th, 2021, 9:06 pm
eightwt wrote:

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression FMT was precisely for bay boats trying to navigate nearshore waters.

It is an inshore chip, but designed for any boat that fishes inshore. The “ tracks” were all run with a 24’ bay boat at low tide. I have one for my 22’ pathfinder. I use my old navionics chip for offshore. Don’t let boat size influence your decision, but where you normally fish.
Look at the isla mapping vids on you tube. He will go over the options for units and will help finding what will work for you. It’s an excellent chip, but requires a non entry level machine. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I agree with SG. (as usual) The FMT chip is great for inshore, like right along the coast. Perfect for St. Marks and all points South. It's somewhat useless for anything more than a mile offshore. For that, the Navionics chip is much more useful with shading and depth contour lines.

I have an Elite 9ti and it's the bare minimum to run FMT, but it does work.

When I bought my first Flats Skiff back in 1988 we didn't have crap for electronics, and we still fished everywhere in that thing. Your brain and your eyes are still the best navigation aides you will ever possess.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Salty Gator wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:15 am
eightwt wrote:

It is an inshore chip, but designed for any boat that fishes inshore. The “ tracks” were all run with a 24’ bay boat at low tide. I have one for my 22’ pathfinder. I use my old navionics chip for offshore. Don’t let boat size influence your decision, but where you normally fish.
Look at the isla mapping vids on you tube. He will go over the options for units and will help finding what will work for you. It’s an excellent chip, but requires a non entry level machine. Good luck

. Gator, just curious, did that come from FMT? Their web site says they used an 18' Egret that drafts 13.5" at rest and runs on plane at less than a foot with engine and tabs trimmed properly. Agree with you that where you primarly fish dictates your choice. Also, they say they have corrected stuff from other maps. Their FAQ section on the web site answers a lot of good questions
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

I'm planning on sticking to the nearshore flats
99% of the time. I might venture further out on a perfect condition day, but that will be extremely rare.

I'm targeting Redfish, Trout, and flounder primarily with the possibility of grouper occasionally.

Not looking to get back in any bays with a 12" draft, but I'd like to feel a little more confident in those areas with a lot of hidden structure (e.g. rock garden, bars, and outcroppings.

After watching ISLA mappings video, it sounds like you really do need to have a higher end unit. Unfortunately, most of those units have a ton of features I'll never use at a significant cost. He also suggests a larger unit than I really have room for.

May have to reconsider the whole FMT path.

doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

If you can find one of the Garmin 93 still on sale from bass pro I'd do that and not worry as much about fmt since they were 599. Though after my experience with navonics it pains me to say that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

eightwt wrote: April 6th, 2021, 3:02 pm
eightwt wrote:

. Gator, just curious, did that come from FMT? Their web site says they used an 18' Egret that drafts 13.5" at rest and runs on plane at less than a foot with engine and tabs trimmed properly. Agree with you that where you primarly fish dictates your choice. Also, they say they have corrected stuff from other maps. Their FAQ section on the web site answers a lot of good questions
I didn’t get any info off a web site. Only from the long isla videos. He mentioned it in there somewhere, that’s how I remember it anyway. I’ve found the tracks no problems to run at low tide. The other nice feature is it looks better than Google earth when zoomed in, so you can see troughs and other subtle structure and it shortens the learning curve fishing a new area.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Salty Gator wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:29 am
eightwt wrote: April 6th, 2021, 3:02 pm
eightwt wrote:

I didn’t get any info off a web site. Only from the long isla videos. He mentioned it in there somewhere, that’s how I remember it anyway. I’ve found the tracks no problems to run at low tide. The other nice feature is it looks better than Google earth when zoomed in, so you can see troughs and other subtle structure and it shortens the learning curve fishing a new area.

And he goes into small console size for a big screen. He recommended a mount called balzout. It’s about $250 for the mount alone , but it gets the screen closer to your face and off the console. Of you are interested, spend the time to watch the videos. Then you will be able to answer all of these questions. He also puts his map next to a navionics chip amd it’s pretty brutal towards them( deservedly so)
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

Thanks.

I watched the video. Unfortunately, what I got from it was that the units at the top end of my range will barely run FMT, but a lot of the features will not be fully utilized.

The units that will run it well (high resolution 12" screens, processing power) are more than I'd like to spend for other features I'll never use.

It seems like there's a real market for 12" high-resolution chartplotter/FF that don't have the autopilot, networking, radar and other capabilities that inshore anglers wouldn't need.

I'll either just pick up a mid-tier unit for now (still considerably better than anything anyone had 10 years ago) or just keep my older unit for actual depth and temp while I use ipad/phone with the Navionics App for navigation.

I may end up getting a ball style mount for the iPad and give it a go, just gotta figure out how to keep it cool.