Humminbird dead buttons-fixed?!?!?!

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Humminbird dead buttons-fixed?!?!?!

Post by onefishtwofish »

Had all of my buttons doing nothing on my Fish finder/GPS. Would turn on unit and that is it. Would not power off or change screen. It is an older model and I had been gradually losing buttons. Found an online post about it and figured I would take it apart and see if I could fix it before buying a new one. Just have tracks on it, no major secret spots or anything, but it was gonna be at least 400 for similar quality unit.

Bought a good set of torx screwdrivers (which I needed anyway). Carefully disassembled and pulled the little cables from the connectors. Got down to the board under the buttons and as directed, scrubbed the contacts and the backside of the buttons with nail polish remover and Q tip. Did multiple scrubs. Did not really see a bunch of gunk and figured it was toast. Carefully put it all back together making sure the rubber seal and the screw washers were good, figuring I was wasting my time as I was doing it. I cleaned the screen too.

Plugged it back in and VIOLA, all buttons working, screen better than 4 years ago! I'll make sure it registers everything right but so far, it looks like it is fully functional. 30 minutes start to finish. So I reckon if it works, I was making $800 per hour. :lol:

I just hate trashing something without at least giving it a try to repair. Fixed a $650 eye scope at work by watching Youtube and figuring out the problem on my own. Took me 20 minutes and the scope company had a $279 minimum repair charge.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Humminbird dead buttons-fixed?!?!?!

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Always a good feeling to fix something like that, I'd definitely back up the points though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk