Xpress Shallow Water Bay 22

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Xpress Shallow Water Bay 22

Post by onefishtwofish »

Would love to hear any opinions on this boat. Especially Salty Gator, since we were on the boat together.

It rode very nice, but most of the day was real calm. A little later, when the chop picked up a bit, you could feel it some and hear it too, but it still felt pretty good for a tin can-mostly a little tough on the front of the boat. Very fishable platform.

My needs - 90% in river mouth, creeks (aucilla, St marks, Ochlocknee bay, Oyster bay, etc) with some flats, rarely run it on nice days inside dog island, outside of Alligator Point.

Gonna sell my 01 Ranger Cayman 184 with 06 Mercury 175 and my duck boat (16 foot 01 Scandy White with a 06 ProDrive). I have a duck boat I can use or hunt with my brother. Can use this for duck hunting salt (which might by 1-2 trips per year). I have been happy with both boats, but thinking this boat may fit more joy riding with the family in the future and it will fish very good for my style.

Seems this would be roomier for scallop trips and river trips which are not real frequent. I really like the thought of aluminum for maintenance, lighter weight and there is an Xpress dealer in Quincy I know very well. I trailer all the time and if it sits in my boat slip, it is overnight at most. I like the look of the Sea Ark too, but driving by the dealer every day to work is a pretty big plus for me.

I know I will be giving up on the ride, but I can't even recall the last time my boat saw real 2 footers-if the forecast is rough, I stay inside anyway. Some guys we were fishing with had 2 days of rougher water and said it rode nice. I slow down in rocky areas anyway, and even though it is a tunnel, I am not gonna go nuts.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
FishWithChris

Re: Xpress Shallow Water Bay 22

Post by FishWithChris »

There are a couple floating around St Marks, Jay (forgot his name on here) has a sw20b and loves it. They're great skinny water boats. Rough chop in a tunnel always sucks, but manageable at lower speeds.

I have the 185 Skiff and if I didn't have this I'd likely have the SW20B instead. The SW22 is a great platform, but a long boat. I wouldn't want that long of a boat tucking into some of the creeks here, but crossing open water on calmer days is where it pays off. Put a 175 on there to keep weight low and call it a day.

As for that dealership in Quincy... love that whole crew at A1. I didn't buy my boat from them but they're everything you can ask for from a customer service and experience standpoint. If you're going to buy new, they're the place to buy it from.

SeaArks are a tank, though - battle ready, but comfort and ease of use for multiple anglers/family members I'd still sway to the Xpress.

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

Here's a 20' for sale in Perry:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 380172536/

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

PhishingNole wrote:Here's a 20' for sale in Perry:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 380172536/

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
That's a regular H20B, non SW/tunnel. Still a great boat and probably the best riding aluminum hull for a bay boat out there. Reasonable price for a reasonably newer boat with those options.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
bbb

Post by bbb »

Let me know about that Scandy/PD.

Ever since I sold my Dixon/GD combo I’ve been missing out on the frogs and flounder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I have what is probably a dumb question and maybe a concern for anyone buying a "metal" boat: The last aluminum boat I had was a Triton bass boat... The hull was glass but the deck, lockers, lids, etc were all aluminum. On hot days, the deck would get so hot it would blister your feet. No way could you walk on it without wearing shoes. Do the decks on the newer aluminum boats get hot?
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Juan, we were on it all day, on Wednesday and it was sunshine and fairly warm (nice breeze). I never felt the slightest heat due to the paint style. My duck boat with the flat green paint definitely gets hot on the feet though.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

FishWithChris wrote: June 11th, 2021, 8:48 am There are a couple floating around St Marks, Jay (forgot his name on here) has a sw20b and loves it. They're great skinny water boats. Rough chop in a tunnel always sucks, but manageable at lower speeds.

I have the 185 Skiff and if I didn't have this I'd likely have the SW20B instead. The SW22 is a great platform, but a long boat. I wouldn't want that long of a boat tucking into some of the creeks here, but crossing open water on calmer days is where it pays off. Put a 175 on there to keep weight low and call it a day.

As for that dealership in Quincy... love that whole crew at A1. I didn't buy my boat from them but they're everything you can ask for from a customer service and experience standpoint. If you're going to buy new, they're the place to buy it from.

SeaArks are a tank, though - battle ready, but comfort and ease of use for multiple anglers/family members I'd still sway to the Xpress.

Thanks for all the info. I want the 22 mostly due to the extra space up front and sometimes having 3 men and a young un might give us a bit more room. Also was told it makes a slightly smoother ride (I know heavy chop will be rough, but safe). I also co own a little 14 foot aluminum for serious creek fishing. Am also thinking it would be a little more deck space to tender a couple of kayaks from.

So what about Hyper vs SW. Since I spend a lot of time in Aucilla and other more rocky areas, am I wrong in thinking the tunnel and shallower draft may be better? I am usually a buyer of used boats, but really want to go new and get it set up exactly like I want. I am not making long runs in chop often and can just slow down when I encounter it. Seems like the SW is more the hull for me with the tunnel.

175 over the 150? That is what the boat I was on had and it was just cruising along at 3000 rpms and just so dang smooth with 5 grown men on it (well, 4 grown men and Salty Gator - he kind of skinny).

If I go with a Xpress, it will definitely be the Senft family (A-1). I bought the house that Curt grew up in (my daughter now owns it) and they have been my clients for 30 years. You are right, quality folks.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I don't know a thing about these new metal bay boats, so I really don't have anything to add to the discussion. But....I believe you have made your decision and are ready to buy the boat. So if you have the money and approval from the wife then get busy buying it. :thumbup: 8)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Yup, the SW22B is your boat. Put that order in now because the wait times I'm seeing from folks on the Xpress boat owners Facebook pages are several - 6 months out.

Stoked for ya and a preliminary welcome to the Xpress family. Kirt and Jason will give ya all the right info on waterproofing and setup. Make sure to get the redfish package, upgrade your TM to the 80lb Terrova (or 110lb if you really want, 3 batteries vs the 2 with the 80lb) and I'd suggest upgrading your Hummingbird to a Lowrance or Simrad and investing in Florida Marine Tracks.

Shoot me a PM/call me with any questions. Remember, this is still an aluminum boat, so don't expect the finish quality of a Hells Bay,but will be worlds better than any tracker product

Image Image Image
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Almost Rocky. Got the wife's approval! (I told her I was thinking about selling my Ranger and my duck boat and she said "good, about time" - wait, what, lol) But there are so many decisions to make about the different models, the length, etc. Tunnel (better in rocky areas) vs hyperlift (smoother ride in chop), 22 vs 20, 175 vs 150. Also wanted to make sure someone did not say NO DONT DO IT and why. I am very seriously considering, but still time to research others. I guess part of the fun to me in buying a new boat, new truck, tractor, etc is in the research.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

I was almost ready to buy one of these until I decided on a G3 20’ Bay DLX Tunnel. So far have been very satisfied with this boat. The main reason I went with the G3 is it was available, everyone I called at the time either didn’t have the boat, didn’t have a motor, or both. I didn’t have the patience to wait for one to be built, and my wife and kids would had to here me talk about a boat for months.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any modern welded boats really, it’s all about what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cleanlivin

Post by cleanlivin »

I have a 22 SW bay with a 150 Yamaha Sho. I bought mine to run in the spring and fall mainly and it does great for this. As far as running it in a good chop its not the best boat but it is not the worst boat Ive ever owned.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

After talking over with folks that ride and fish in my boat a lot and my family as well as the dealer, I am really starting to think I want the 22H Bay. I realize it will not draft as skinny as the SW but will draft about what I have now, maybe a little better. Would stick with a 175 for weight improvement over 200. It just seems that when scalloping or joy riding with folks, the Hyperlift would give a better ride. I have a place at Mashes Sands and may want to run around the corner on nice days all the way to scalloping area and if it gets a little choppy the Hyperlift may be the better option. So many decisions!
cleanlivin

Post by cleanlivin »

The hyperlift is definitely a better riding boat